Let's just say the day began early with dark chocolate (72% cacao before 9 a.m.!) and ended with a glass of wine.
In between there was an ankle x-ray (mine), Oreo birthday cake bars (for one of the kids I babysit) and a new minivan.
Some people like to spread out their big life events, apparently we like to combine ours on the first day of a new month.
I'm being slightly dramatic. (big shocker) My ankle has been bothering me for a couple of weeks and since icing and pretending it didn't hurt combined with minor doses of ibuprofen and heavy doses of denial just wasn't cutting it anymore, I ran (or rather, hobbled) into walk-in care this morning in between packing lunches and serving up cereal. My strict instructions to my husband were to keep the children (ours and those I watch before school) alive and, if it wasn't too much trouble, offer up seconds on Cinnamon Life.
The x-rays proved what I suspected. Nothing noticeable is wrong with me. So, one anti-inflammatory prescription and one week of "no exercise but normal activity okay" slip later, I was back home in time to do 4 loads of laundry and climb the stairs no less than a dozen times.
Not a complaint, just an observation: I saw a male doctor. I wonder if when he prescribes "normal activity" he takes into account the difference between a day in the life of a man and the day in the life of a woman. Humor me while I make wild (but probably not too far off) generalizations...........
Man - Going to work with sore foot:
Arrive at 9:00 a.m. Grab diet soda or coffee. Proceed to desk and work sitting down until lunch. Get lunch at drive-thru. Sit back down and work at desk until 6:00 p.m. Arrive home and eat dinner, sitting down at table. Move to recliner after dinner. Go to bed.
Woman - At home, with sore foot:
Clean up kitchen, kids to bus, start laundry, make lunch, clean up after lunch, switch laundry, run upstairs to put laundry away, think about dinner, shuffle kids in after school, serve snack and drinks, clean up snack and drinks, start dinner, sit for 8.5 minutes to eat, clean up kitchen again, switch one more load of laundry.
Maybe I should consider doubling up on the naproxen.
We had decided earlier in the week that this would be the day we were going to minivan shop. My husband was able to take the afternoon off and I was able to finagle an extra hour into the afternoon with assistance from neighbors. Why bother having a Leap year if you don't at least get an extra hour from it, even if it happens the following day??
I hobbled, we test-drove, debated and discussed.
As of 7:47 p.m. local time we are proud parents of an approximate two-ton vehicle. It's a healthy shade of gray and moves quickly.
So, we are ending this evening with a celebratory dinner known as "What's left in the fridge?" and a made-for-Disney channel movie. I think that explains the glass of wine.
No comments:
Post a Comment