Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Leprechaun Trail Mix


I've been trying to make all sorts of fun and sweet St. Patrick's Day treats this week. I love the color green - it feels so springy and with the unusually warm weather this week it feels like spring has arrived for good! (Yes, I know better.)

Some days after school I watch a few kids plus my own and it is quite a crowd. Those are the days that it's easiest to bake a big batch of something and let them have at it.

But, sometimes the healthy side gets the better of me, and knowing they need some hearty afternoon fuel gets me thinking about a fun snack with "just a little" sweet involved.

This recipe is a variation of something I had at a party years ago. I believe the original ingredients are 1 bag of microwave popcorn, 3 cups Cheerios, 3 cups Chex and 5 squares of almond bark. I didn't have Cheerios, so I substituted pretzels and peanuts.

I added Wilton Leaf Green (it doesn't take much - maybe 1/8 tsp?) to the white almond bark...........

It all got mixed together in a large bowl, then spread out on a wax paper lined cookie sheet.

I then melted about 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips and drizzled over the mix. After about 15 minutes in the refrigerator, it's ready to be broken apart and served. Leftovers can be kept in a sealed container for about 2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment