Since Valentine's day fell on a Tuesday the kids took Valentines to school and had low-key classroom parties.
And by low-key, I mean no snack at the parties.
Let it soak in.
WHAT???!?!!?
Due to lots of modern day travails (allergies, food intolerance, health concerns, etc.) our district has discouraged party food.
It's really enough to make you long for the days of "Webster" on Friday nights, leg warmers, (heard those are coming back) Keds and banana clips. Your lunchtime PB&J's were on Wonder Bread accompanied by Doritos and Little Debbie Oatmeal pies washed down with Hawaiian Fruit Punch. Then, you had an afternoon class party where you distributed your Nerds candy Valentines. At least one class mom brought in Rice Krispie treats - right in the pan she mixed them in. Another mom sent in Strawberry Crush to make things seem more festive.
Well, hello, long-term repressed 1980's memories.
So, I knew we should have a great after-school snack to make up for the air and water that was consumed mid-afternoon. Plus, all the kids I watch after school were going to be there, so PAAAARTY on!

I mixed up the chocolate chip recipe on the back of the bag, added some caramel chips as well, then put the whole thing in the fridge for a few hours. I rolled the dough flat while it was still wrapped in plastic wrap, then put it on parchment paper and shaped it a bit more before baking. I turned the oven down to 325 to keep it from getting too brown and baked this for about 30 minutes.

After it cooled it was all buttercream and conversation hearts.
How was your February 14th?
Wow! That looks so tasty, and is so adorable as well. Maybe you should start writing a cookbook - full of all your wonderful ideas/creations. I know I'd buy it. :)
ReplyDelete