Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Fondant Fun

I love fondant. In the last few weeks I have flirted a bit with royal icing, but I think I may be returning to my first love when it comes to decorating cookie bouquets:







Don't be intimidated, it's like playdough for grown-ups! I put plenty of powdered sugar under it to keep it from sticking to the counter and then roll it between 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch, depending on how thick you want it to be. I'm a little hesitant to let the secret out because it's almost too simple, but here goes. Dampen both sides of the cut-out fondant with water and then adhere it to the cookie. Be sure to position it exactly how you want it because once it dries it DOESN'T come off! It does take a few hours to dry completely, so make sure you do this a day or so ahead of time before you need them. I believe you can make your own fondant, but frankly I'm willing to pay for the already packaged product. It comes in white (the cheapest) and chocolate (tastes like tootsie rolls!),the primary shades (which I used) neon and pastels. They also sell a box with 4 different skin tones which I find kind of funny, but I suppose if you are trying to create faces it might come in handy. (Has the world really gotten so PC that we must have appropriate fondant?!!?)

I'd love to hear your fondant forays!

4 comments:

  1. The bouquet is beautiful! Is that for one of the teachers? Wow! We made andes mint chip brownies for Rorie's awana leaders. They were no homemade cookie bouquet, but they were tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend at MOPS today told me she does half royal/half buttercream to avoid the crunchiness of the royal. The flowers on sticks she made were cute and the icing was quite good. Just thought I'd pass it on in case you hadn't heard the idea before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really pretty. What does it taste like though? I've always wondered if it tastes sweet.

    PS: thanks for following my blog

    ReplyDelete