Thursday, May 27, 2010

Thankful Thursday

It has been a bit of what Anne of Green Gables would refer to as a "Jonah Day" around here except it's been all week.

On Sunday, my oven conked out. A baker without an oven is like Lance Armstrong without his front bike tire.

On Monday I took the cake that hadn't baked in my oven to see if it would bake up in Mom's oven.....it did, but did not release from the pan, so I baked another one. Did I mention it was the one with eight Milky Way bars in it?!?! My family was ecstatic that there was a ruined cake at their disposal. Of course the oven kicked right back on AFTER the whole "run bowl of cake batter down to Mom's house and balance that while trying to drive." A man walking his dog gave me a sideways odd glance as I got out of the car. Dude, you can't handle the truth.

Tuesday the dishwasher leaked on the hardwood kitchen floors.....again.

Wednesday....I FINALLY got a haircut, yea!!!! But I was also trying to complete 1,000 tasks so I still have a ball cap on my head since I haven't had time to "do" my hair. My son "lost" his sandals. Really, how do you lose a pair of shoes that you take off and put on hooks the moment you walk in the door?!?! Also, Reaghan has a sinus infection so there was an impromptu dr. run. Our phone/computer line started acting up....this is an ongoing thing so no big surprise, but still!! My oven trumped the phone/computer thing by giving out again while I had a lasagna in for dinner and a yellow sheet cake that someone needed for Thursday. I took the lasagna out, followed by the cake with the uncooked middle section. I scooped out the cake's unbaked middle, set the rest aside and called the lasagna's time of demise at 6:47p.m. Reaghan looked at the cake, said "Sorry, Mom" then eyed the cake again and then looked at me. I could see the wheels turning in her 10 year-old head. I boiled noodles and steamed broccoli for the kids and Jerry and I had cake with a side of leftover meatloaf. I ran to the store for more supplies and determined to start anew on Thursday.

So, here we are at Thursday! We are making the best of today and I'm going to focus on all that is right - here goes:

Like I told the kids last night......."Some families, when their Mommy ruins dinner, don't have any more food in the house to eat. They go to bed hungry. We are so blessed to have these noodles and broccoli (which truthfully the kids much prefer over lasagna anyway!) and leftover cake for dessert." We said our dinner prayers and Peyton ended it with a "Bonjour, Jesus!" I don't know whether to correct her use of French or her theology.

The fact that I was able to re-bake the cake at my neighbor's around the corner. We were walking this morning and she graciously offered up her home (since it's closer than my mom's) and the cake was done in a glorious 40 minutes. All fluffy and light and golden and springy and beautiful.

A beautiful day.......I have SO much to do but I am taking a couple of hours to go play with Kevin and one of my friends and her kids. The glow on Kevin's face when I told him we could go was worth it all.

My dumping zone, I mean dining room - way back in the day when I was just a silly, silly girl I told my husband I didn't want a dining room. We don't formally entertain and I just couldn't see having a room that was rarely used since we almost always eat in the kitchen. Thankfully, our house was "as is" on the plans and it included my "I'll never use it" dining room. That room has been a playroom, cake/cookie decorating room and now currently has the glamorous task of being the "shove all your school stuff that is coming home with you at the end of the year until Mommy has time to go through it all" room. It looks like it has taken a beating, but it's hanging in there and waiting for its day to shine.

So, I'm off to enjoy the morning and will tackle the work later!!

1 comment: