I think that might possibly be one of the most boring blog titles in relation to holidays and December and all things festive, but there you have it ;)
Every year, I try to be more organized and streamline and simplify. I'll be honest - some years I'll be great at this, and other years I'm scrambling at 8 p.m. on Christmas Eve. You can only do what you can do, and sometimes life happens, and unexpected good and not so good things happen, and sometimes in spite of your best intentions, you just need a nap on the couch.
That said, I sometimes work better and get things done more quickly when the hours are limited. (Why is human nature so bizarre?!?!) So, looking ahead at this jam-packed month, (this first weekend alone is enough to make me want to take to my bed) I am planning on doing something every day to make the Christmas season a little less hectic. I thought I would share a thought a day, (for 12 days) though I know myself and sometimes it will be a few tips all clumped together in one post because me writing every day is as likely as a unicorn giving Rudolph the night off and leading Santa's sleigh.
So, here we are. Disclaimer: Some of these (ok, all of them) are very basic and may even create a "Well, duh, Mindy!" moment. But I am going out on a limb here and suggesting that I am not the only one who kind of stresses and gets overwhelmed at even the simplest of tasks when the pressure is on. Sometimes, it just takes a simple reminder to do the next thing, or take 5 minutes to breathe and make a list, or set a timer for 15 minutes and do as much as you can before the buzzer times out. Consider me your simple reminder ;)
Helpful Hint 1:
Write it all down. I mean, ALL. Sit down with your phone, or tablet, or in my case, an actual paper tablet, (lol!) and write down everything that is nagging at your skull, holiday related or not. The events you must attend, the activities you want to do, the garbage that needs to be dragged to the curb, the parking ticket that needs to be paid, (true story) the decorating, the baking, the wrapping, the Christmas cards, the whole shebang. Don't worry, your to-do list can be a rough draft. You are allowed to mark it up with red ink.
From this basic list, I divide into categories. Don't worry, it is nothing fancy. It's just a few lines of chores/items to accomplish in one group, then a second list of things needing to be purchased, or errands lumped together. Today's list included some things I need at Target, sorting through gifts already purchased, and a couple of household items such as deciding what to do with two Christmas bins of stuff (didn't get to that - I will roll that over until the weekend) and readjusting the timer on my outside lights since hubby and I disagree as to how long lights should be on every night. Whole 'nother post topic. Under the category of "Things you will really want to discuss prior to saying I Do."
(By the way, the correct answer is 14 hours. The end.)
One other thing - on your list, schedule some time for you - the keeper of the schedule and the things. I make sure to reserve time every day, even if it's just sitting with coffee by the tree, or catching up with friends via text or a quick phone call, or going for a run or an exercise class. YOU will thank you!
No comments:
Post a Comment