Thursday, December 15, 2016

Twelve Tips of Christmas (Day 5)

Here we are, nearly half way through and I'm waaay behind!

We lost my dear father-in-law earlier this week, so posting has taken a back seat to lots of other pressing issues at hand.  He was a sweet man who will be greatly missed.  He was one of my biggest fans in the baking department and I would love to have one more chance to make a rich, chocolaty cake for him.  I will miss his excitement over "what's Mindy bringing for dessert????"

In honor of his memory, I thought it fitting to offer up another baking tip involving chocolate.

Sometimes, even the best recipe will not turn out like it should.  It could be weather related, an oven issue, or in my case, a combination of butter that wasn't quite soft enough (but didn't have time to mess with it) and forgetting to add salt to the dry ingredients.  WHAT?!?!?  I'm blaming this on my overtaxed mind.  Sometimes little things fall out of your brain when you are juggling big things.

So.....I had mixed up a double batch of Heath Cookie Bits dough. Of course, it would have to be doubled.  A single recipe I may have chalked up to a small loss and moved on, but 4+ cups of flour?!?!?  I don't think so.  I knew it needed to be salvaged. 

I baked up the too thick dough, and the texture turned out to be okay after all.  The taste was.....well, it was bland what with the whole "no salt" thing.  But then I remembered I had coarse sea salt and chocolate for melting - yay!  So, I drizzled some melted chocolate, then sprinkled a bit of sea salt over each cookie.  Voila!  I still prefer the original, but this cookie worked for what was needed, which was a sturdy cookie for packing up to give to teachers.  I didn't try this,  (mainly because I had filled up on cookie dough and was stuffed ) but because it's a little thicker, I think it will be a good "dunking in coffee or tea" type treat.

So, today's tip is - panic first, then then think outside the box.  Sometimes you will come up with a just right solution.  And sometimes, you may have to throw it out and start over, but at least run through some options in your head first.  You might surprise yourself!

P.S.  About 3 years ago, I had baked a fabulous cake that included eight melted Milky Way bars.  Yes, you read that correctly.  Anyway, due to the caramel and the very dense batter, this cake REFUSED to let go of it's cozy bundt pan.  I dug everything out into a big heap on my counter.  I was ready to cry and throw away, then it occurred to me - what is better than cake and ice cream??  I made a base layer out of that messy cake by pressing it into a 9x13 pan, softened some ice cream enough for spreading, then drizzled hot fudge and sprinkles over the top and cut into squares.  Everyone raved about it.  Sometimes your biggest error can run into something really good in the end :)

P.S.S. I think it's funny that spell check doesn't recognize the word "bundt."  :) :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment