Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Dear KitchenAid:

I am completely in love with your products. I was a fool, just a fool, to not register for the counter-top stand mixer 13 years ago when I was but a blushing bride-to-be standing in the Marshall Field's gift registry department. Its usefulness would have far outlasted the martini shaker from Crate and Barrel that I have yet to use for anything other than cutting out crustless peanut butter and jelly sandwich circles.
(I cornered this market WAAAAY before they started selling those "sandwich sealers" that are displayed at marketing eye level in the cereal section of local grocery retailers.)

Thankfully my dear brother and sister-in-law saw the error of my ways and a few years later surprised me with the stand mixer sweetly wrapped under the Christmas tree.

For some time the stand mixer and I were one. We mixed up cookies, cake batter, double batches of buttercream and even the occasional biscotti. I was in denial that perhaps my flat beater attachment had seen better days. It seemed that some of the coating was starting to disintegrate. I didn't want to believe it, so I kept mixing away. Entire chocolate chunks were no match for this team. A redhead and her flat beater - a powerful force indeed.

But alas, my common sense took over and had a conversation with me one day and stated...."You know, that product was made in China. And even though they are ever so careful with their lead paint and all, maybe it's time to give this one up."

So, I bid a sad farewell to the flat beater, promising myself that I could order a new one the next week. As soon as I could get myself together enough to turn the stand mixer over and read both the model and serial number.

Three months later, I did. I wrote it down on a piece of paper and promptly taped it inside my kitchen cupboard where all pertinent info and newspaper comics are hung.

I told myself I would place the order the next week.

In the meantime I used wire whisk. Old faithful. True, it didn't have quite the same panache for certain items as flat beater, but what a great stand in. And wire whisk was STAINLESS STEEL!" All bases were covered.

And then, one day as I prepared to whip up a batch of chocolate chip cookies, I couldn't find wire whisk. Assuming someone had moved it to the wrong location, I searched high and low. I looked in every drawer, every cabinet, EVERYWHERE!

I was in denial that it had to be somewhere nearby.

So, until it decided to come out of hiding, I put this relic to use....

As much as I would love to comment on the 1970's-ness of it, I will refrain because:
A)It was from the 70's and still works
B)It has saved me many times
C)It is my Mom's - and she reads this blog

But, dear KitchenAid, the holiday baking season is nearly upon us. Wire Whisk has gone AWOL. MIA. And frankly, I'm sure not Sally Seventies and I can take this on. So three weeks ago I made the effort of viewing your website. I took deep breaths as I navigated the many (MANY!) pages of products and accessories. I bookmarked the page.

I told myself I would place the order next week.

I was too overwhelmed with thoughts of ordering what I thought would be the right pieces because I knew it would be approximately 5 years before I exchanged the parts via the US mail system.

So I emailed you. And you were ever so kind and responded in a timely manner with exactly what I needed. So today, TODAY, as I have 7 kids in my home I decided it would be time to place that order. Wire whisk jumped right into my virtual cart like a long long Facebook friend who's confirmation had just been accepted.

I assumed flat beater would be the same.

Couldn't find flat beater for anything.

So, I took a deep breath and told myself I'd order that one next week.

I stopped myself, looked up the 800 number and spoke with Kirsten (Kirstin?) who guided me in the right direction after we both viewed several pages simultaneously.

So, KitchenAid - you know I love you to pieces. But your endless supply of merchandise and the stress of ordering the right items has me running straight in the direction of something gooey and chocolate.

I think I still have time to mix up some brownies by hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment