Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Banana Double Chip Muffins

What to do with old bananas??

Add some chocolate, that's what!

I left some without chips at all because there is a certain someone in the house who doesn't like chocolate in banana muffins or pancakes.

(I try to remember that I've been married to him over a dozen years and he is great guy, this notwithstanding.)


I filled the cups part way, added white chips before adding a second layer of muffin batter and then topped off with semi-sweet chips.

Here is the easy recipe:

Preheat oven to 425.

3 medium size bananas, very ripe
1 stick softened butter
2 containers applesauce (snack/lunchbox size)
1 1/2 cups sugar (you could probably cut this to 1 cup because of the sweetness of the applesauce and chips)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour (I used 1 cup whole wheat/2 cups white - shh, they'll never know!!)
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Beat butter, applesauce, sugar, eggs and vanilla together. Add bananas and beat well. Add the flour, baking soda and salt, mix well but do not over beat.

Place muffin cups (I used the foil lined ones) in muffin pan and fill about 2/3 full total. You can mix your chips in with your batter if you prefer - I just like to individually place mine.

Bake for 15-20 minutes - these brown easily so keep a close eye. I have noticed they brown more quickly than other muffins so it's also important to not under bake.

This makes about 26 muffins and your house will smell wonderful!!

(If you want to convert this recipe to bread, turn down your oven temp to 350 and bake for an hour. I rarely have success with banana bread baking evenly, so I stick to muffins!)

No comments:

Post a Comment