It was a full "I'm happy to make that venti caramel frappuccino extra chocolate shavings hold the whip and include a cup-stopper" type headset. Over the head, speak into a mouthpiece, beautiful piece of technology.
So, being the somewhat envious friend that I am, I asked where such a beauty of a contraption could be purchased. She replied that she had received it as a baby shower gift (I KNOW!) 7 years before so she thought maybe it was Radio Shack but had no idea if they still made such an animal.
I took it to be a challenge I was meant to conquer.
Because I have some upper back and neck issues, talking on the phone while doing anything other than breathing has been a bit of an obstacle in recent years. Yes, I would try to plan out when I needed to be on the phone and operate accordingly, but you know as well as I do that the moment you have some quiet and the "ON" button is pressed on the cordless, children from miles away respond to the sensor chip that is implanted within them. I've been 3 rooms away hidden in a corner of my closet and all of sudden there are bathroom issues to be attended to, fingers bleeding and the doorbell ringing while a child cries simultaneously. All within 2.1 seconds. It's really quite astonishing, if you think about it. Which I try to not do very often.
So I found this hands-free option to be tempting, to say the least. I had numerous conversations with my husband over this. My hubby tends to be a bit of a "pontificater" in an endearing kind of a way, but it usually always entails:
1) How much walking(in lieu of parent driving him) he did as a kid (to be fair he lived just a few blocks from school.)
2) How, by the time they got the "newest thing" they were the last ones to have it.
3) How pampered this generation of kids really are.
I know. He will make someone a fine, "grouchy grandpa that sits on the front porch lamenting about the good 'ol days" someday.
So, in keeping with his endearing ways, our last talk happened like this:
Mindy - "I really think this headset phone would be a great help to me. It's not as though I want to spend my day on the phone, but I could continue to cook/clean/help kids if the phone rings without straining my neck or having to stop everything to talk to school/neighbor/mom/fire department.
Jerry - "You know, phone usage has become such a big deal. When I was a kid, if I needed to talk on the phone, which was hardly ever, I picked the phone up off the wall and stood there to talk. "
To which I replied as gently as I could.....
"Honey, I know what you're saying. But I'm pretty sure this suburban mom of 3 in 2010 has slightly more important phone business to attend to than your 8 year-old 1970's self. Just sayin'."
So, guess what Santa left under the tree for me??!?!!
Try not to be too distracted by the Pebbles Flintstone 'do.
I LOVE it! And, while I can understand the endearing guy's point of view, what I wouldn't have given for that device in my day!! Now I don't feel quite so badly about taking care to notice the time when I make a phone call to you. :) But, I will remember STANDING at the wall to talk... Love, mom
ReplyDeleteHow lucky are you!?! Love that headset. I bet you'll never want to take it off. :)
ReplyDeleteI can totally hear you two going back and forth in that conversation :) I want one now!!
ReplyDelete