Friday, January 14, 2011

Fun Friday Recipe

The time - 1:32p.m.
The situation - Children home soon due to early dismissal from school.
The problem - No butter on hand for preparing cookies.

ACKKKKKK!

I did, however, have a yellow cake mix in the pantry. I remembered a recipe for cookies from a cake mix. I also remembered they had turned out dry and crumbly.

So, I googled cake mix cookies and was thankful I no longer lived in the dark ages of the 1990's where if you said "you googled" something people would start to think about having you committed.

I found this recipe and gave it a try.

In the past I had used only one egg (very old recipe I had), and using 2 eggs made such a big difference. Since I had 2 kinds of chocolate on hand, I added these....


Have you seen the mini kisses? They are the cutest thing. I found them a month or so at Target (home, sweet home:) and purchased a couple of bags to have on hand for emergencies such as this.

The recipe made about 27 cookies, I think I probably could have gotten about 30, but SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE, (who shall remain nameless) broke the low-carb vow and indulged in some cookie dough. I am convinced I have such strong stomach capability because of the years and amount of raw egg consumed via cookie dough.

Here are the results.....

Some of the reviews of this recipe stated the cookies didn't keep well past a day, but with kids, kid friends and husband, these didn't stand much of a chance at lasting longer anyhow.

I did have some frosting already made, so for some of the cookies I gave a quick "schmeer." Since technically people were eating cake:)

I recommend reading the reviews at the end of the recipe, some had really great ideas for different flavors, etc. I think I will keep more cake mix on hand for these treats - I'm planning to try chocolate next time with some white chips and carrot with cinnamon chips done as a sandwich cookie with cream cheese frosting....yum!

One more quick note, be conservative on the baking time for these. The undersides will brown much more quickly than the top - I pulled mine from the oven when the tops still appeared slightly underdone and when they had cooled the bottoms were nicely golden. Had I left them in another minute or two it would have been too "done."

No comments:

Post a Comment