Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sunday Sustenance

It is one of those cold (but sunny!) lazy Sunday afternoons. We've been to church early and then had a big breakfast so nobody feels like doing too much. Since we're all home, I'm taking advantage of the time and doing a little bit of cooking ahead. Here's what we've got going:

Batch of chocolate chip cookie dough (my fav!) - I baked one sheet for us to enjoy and the rest is being saved for a big cookie later in the week to celebrate the birthday of a little girl I babysit. The cookie sheet is in the fridge ready to be popped in the oven on Tueday. I'll plan to decorate it with icing that afternoon.

One big pan of wild rice - truthfully I'm the only one that will eat it, but it keeps well in the fridge all week and I can throw it together with some veggies, almonds and a little olive oil - quite tasty!

Cooked chicken - did you know you can boil chicken in a big pot of water?? I lived for 34 years without knowing this until one of my good friends mentioned it in passing. Except for the grill in the spring/summer (absolutely cannot wait for that first piece of fresh-grilled chicken...yummmmmmmm) it's almost the only way I cook chicken now. It's so tender it falls apart and you can fork/shred it for any kind of chicken dish. I use it for tetrazzini, tacos, casseroles, salads, etc.

Sweet potatoes - I put them on a baking sheet or stone for about 1 1/2 hours at 375
After they cool a bit I peel/chop and fridge. At dinner I'll sprinkle the smallest amount of cinnamon and brown sugar and serve it as our vegetable for dinner next to green beans or peas or zucchini. You don't even know the excitement it brings to this moms hearts to see her children get 2 of the 5 recommended veggie servings all at once:)

Almond glazed Poppyseed bread and Pumpkin Bread: Will serve this for breakfasts once or twice this week. I'll serve milk and a banana with it once and probably smoothies the next time.

I've found that once-a-month cooking is way too overwhelming for me, but once a week planning ahead/cooking is just about right.

No comments:

Post a Comment