Monday, April 7, 2014

Weekend Cake Rescue

Monday already?!?!!

The kids are back in school and I have a couple more days until I head back to work, so today is catch-up day...you know, everything I thought I would get done over break, but didn't, ha!

So, this morning was back to lunches, getting some groceries, running a couple of other errands, and doing some laundry.

Is it nap time yet??

Looking back a few days, we had the best weekend.  On Friday night, we invited 3 families over for pizza and dessert.  The kid total was 10, so we were outnumbered, (as usual) and the noise level was crazy high, but a great time was had by all.

I had made the Black Magic Cake and forgot the advice to GREASE AND FLOUR the bundt pan.  Truthfully, I was lazy and just used some extra non-stick spray.  DON'T DO IT! 

Or else you may get this......

With a side of this.......

And then you might panic just a little.  But then you will remember that there is ice cream and ganache and leftover Milky Way Bars.  And even though it isn't a pretty bundt cake, it still tastes just fine......

So, the moral of the story is this:  If you have a dessert that fails to release from the pan, but is otherwise just fine, DON'T CRY AND TOSS IT OUT! (even though that is what you may feel like doing.)  Simply walk away for a couple of hours, think on it, put it in a plastic container and even fridge overnight if you aren't sure.  I ended up crumbling the crumbles, then I mixed some frosting into (think cake pop consistency) the cake, mixed it up, and pressed down about half the mixture into a greased 9x13 pan.  I softened a half gallon of ice cream, spread it over and sprinkled that with Heath bits and chopped up Milky Way.  I froze it overnight, then sprinkled and pressed down the rest of the cake (no frosting in that batch, it was moist enough to adhere to the ice cream on its own) and added more candy topping.  It set out for about 10 minutes before we cut into all that chocolate:)  There is still more in the freezer downstairs as I type.................

As a side note, I read some reviews on this recipe that I have made a half dozen times or so, and found out that this recipe received the most letters ever.  Seems like lots of people have had issues with this tricky, magically delicious cake!

On Saturday, my husband watched the Final Four games at a neighbor's house - I actually joined him for the last half of the last game, and even though I am not a sports person AT ALL, it was a fun game to watch. 

On Sunday, we went to church, had breakfast after, and finally tackled these.......





Try not to judge....I know it's April ;)

Then, Kevin had baseball practice (let the season of craziness begin!!) and we prepared for the upcoming week. 

How was your weekend/spring break??

No comments:

Post a Comment