Apparently, this was my Aunt Deb's favorite cake that she would order from a bakery near her. I had no idea such a cake existed until last Thursday morning when my cousin posted something about it on Facebook. I thought it was a typo and she meant "champagne and cake" at which point I thought "I'M IN! How have I not thought of this on my own birthday?!?!" BUT.....there really is such a cake! So I knew I had to try baking my own version immediately. I added strawberries to the finished result because the only thing better than cake and champagne is champagne and strawberries so I knew combining them would be incredible.
(I think the humidity has affected my brain and is exhibiting itself by continuous run-on thoughts and sentences. Sorry.)
Here are the 3 main items you will need. The champagne replaces the water in the cake mix recipe, and I upped the eggs from three to four. I baked mine in a bundt pan, but you could do a layer cake if you prefer....you would just need to double your frosting to have enough to fill and ice the sides.
I added these 2 pictures just for all the bubbly fun.....
Frosting:
2 cups powdered sugar
1 stick softened butter
1 tsp vanilla
4 TBSP Champagne
P.S. The alcohol bakes out of the cake but you might want to use a regular buttercream icing for your under 21 guests - or use this as an excuse to make a second "for the kids" dessert.
P.S.S. Every time I make a bundt cake, I think of this scene.....
What a surprise...a wonderful, special surprise...to come home to this sitting on my kitchen counter in honor of my little sister's birthday. How's that for having a daughter that everyone else wishes they had?? We celebrated and remembered Debbie's time with us and how much we loved her. Thanks, sweet daughter. You're especially loved!
ReplyDeleteGorgeous! I have tried to recreate the pomegranate champagne from the AG store and came up with something that might not be it but is still yummy :0) We'll have some new things to try if we EVER manage to get together again! I'm glad you were able to remember Deb with sweet memories and the special cake.
ReplyDelete