Thursday, July 14, 2011

(Fraternal) Twin Desserts



I have a good friend who is about to become a mother.....again. When she had her first ultrasound, she received the surprise of her life because there were (was?) not one, but two babies!

As anyone who has been pregnant knows, one's tastes can change drastically. In this case, my friend - a former chocoholic - became repulsed by anything remotely in the cocoa bean family. I know, a moment of silence is in order.

Lengthy pause.

So, for her birthday I knew I needed to steer clear of anything close to chocolate when it came to making a cake.

Another lengthy pause......

Since it's summer, I wanted something light and lemony.

I had the perfect inspiration in my pantry....

If you have never tried lemon curd (can we PLEASE name it something else? CURD??!?!?!....Who gets to name these things?!?!?) I suggest you grab a friend and get to Trader Joe's. Or if you're too far away, bribe a friend who lives within a decent range to ship you a jar. It's that good. So good that one could eat it with a spoon straight from the jar. Not that I would know....I just heard you could ;)

Bake up a lemon cake. I used Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme that I purchased on clearance at Target for 87 cents. (score!)

I then spread curd (yewww, that word again) in between the layers and sprinkled on some coconut.

And added some candles.....

Buttercream with some lemon extract and about 2 TBSP of lemonade concentrate gave this quite a sweet zing.

I'm sure you're wondering about the ever-so-chocolaty Oreo brownies. I figured the children wouldn't care for lemon, so they needed a dessert, too.

It's all for the children, ALL about the children - we mothers wouldn't THINK of swiping a brownie off that plate. Not a one of us.


For those amazing brownies, click here.

Now I just need to come up with some sort of clever twin cupcake idea for the baby shower......

No comments:

Post a Comment