Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Thankful Thursday...I'm Thankful for what my Aunt Deb taught me

For those that have been reading regularly (or just know me!) the month of May has been rough for our family. One of my dear aunts was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer and succumbed just 29 days later. I'm still trying to process it all.

I'm so thankful for the years I had with my aunt and want to honor and remember her for the spunky life she led. And what a life she packed into her 57 years! Here are a few things she taught me........

- Get outside of your own little world....my aunt has seen Korea, Japan, Aruba, France, Ireland - just to name a few. I'm sure she was planning another destination before she became ill.

- Take life by the reins and have a "can-do, take charge" attitude about absolutely everything in life. Need a dinner reservation when the restaurant claims they're full? Call Aunt Deb. Not sure where to take the kids while in the city? Aunt Deb will swoop in and have your head spinning with a list of activities that will challenge your energy level just as hers is getting going. Not sure what to do with your life in the next 5 years? Aunt Deb will have a full life itinerary complete with brochures to you by 4:00 p.m. next business day. While I don't feel quite up to par in this department, I'm going to keep working at it!

- "It is what it is." Perhaps her favorite life quote....I know this must have been going through her head as she bravely faced her disease.

- Love and embrace family whole-heartedly. Not only did she love her own husband and daughter fiercely, she also "adopted" three other (adult) nephews/niece when their own mother passed away. I used to tease her that since God knew she wasn't a "kid person" he gave her 3 additional, already grown-up kids for her nest.

- Be spontaneous. Aunt Deb was up for anything, anytime. It was never too late and she was never too tired to meet up for dinner, a walk or a quick weekend getaway.

- Enjoy a frosted sugar cookie. But only with the soft buttercream, not that royal icing stuff that "breaks your teeth." Really, I feel completely prepared to take over in this department...I've got your back, Aunt Deb ;)

- Care for others and make them feel like they are the most special people around when they arrive from out-of-town. Aunt Deb made sure me and my husband and our children were well-fed, well-entertained and taken care of every hour of the day we were around her.

See you again one day, Aunt Deb - until then it looks like I have alot to keep me busy:)

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your Aunt Deb. Glad she saw some good places in her short lifetime.

    ReplyDelete