Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Past Week

Fair warning - this may be my longest, most drawn-out-skip-around-Mindy-might-have-ADHD post ever. You will probably want to:

A) Grab yourself a cold drink, preferably something stronger than water.
B) Grab yourself an Excedrin.
C) Do both.

Remember this??

It turned into this.....

We haven't tried it yet (unless you count me slicing off parts of the underside of the cake to see if it was "done"), but I think it's okay to say it turned out okay. I used the rest of the marshmallow frosting I had and sprinkled some chocolate chips in. Actually, (don't say you weren't warned!!) I tried to spell out the words "WELCOME HOME" in chocolate chips, but it didn't turn out well at all so we just mixed them in like that was the way it was supposed to be.

Why "Welcome Home" you might ask?? (And then promptly regret.)

My oldest baby was at camp this week and just arrived home yesterday.

Let me say that a little louder for the folks in back......

MY OLDEST CHILD WAS SIGNED UP FOR CAMP, DROPPED OFF AT COLLEGE FOR A WEEK WITHOUT HER MAMA AND ATE REAL DORM FOOD WITHOUT HER MAMA AND TOOK ART CLASSES WITHOUT HER MAMA AND SNUCK BROWNIES AT 10:00 P.M. WITHOUT HER MAMA AND SWAM IN A POOL WITH A HIGH-DIVE WITHOUT HER MAMA AND WAS CARTED AROUND IN A CAMPUS VAN WITHOUT HER MAMA.

Did I mention it was without her mama??!?!

There was some general anxiety, some almost tears, some questions about the stability of the cot-like beds.

And then there was Reaghan. She jumped in with both feet (loving the high-dive analogy right now) and didn't look back.

She produced things like this....

And this.....

We are so glad she had the opportunity and are grateful to the instructors, camp counselors and all who worked hard to put the whole week together.

That being said, I'M SO GLAD SHE'S HOME!!!!

I started off the week by leaving the house before 7:00 a.m. on Sunday to cheer on my sister-in-law who was doing a triathlon. She is an amazing athlete and it was a privilege to watch her cross the finish line.

I then rushed home to help my daughter finish packing - the same daughter who pulled out her back playing softball earlier in the week and was getting ready to leave home for the week.

Approximately one-half hour before we left to make the 3+ hour drive a very large crash sounded from the master bedroom closet. I jumped back from the laundry I was folding and ran into the closet to discover half the closet shelving and all it's bounty piled high on the floor. And about 18 small holes in the wall attesting to the fact that yes, there was once a shelf/hanging rack here.

We obviously couldn't fix the problem that day, so for the next 48 hours or so my husband relived his college days (it was his side of the closet that met its demise) of grabbing clothing off the closet floor.

On Monday Kevin and Peyton started swim lessons.


After lunch, they both had friends over. The Mom and I chatted it up while the kids played and since their family are big fans of "The Mouse" and all things Disney we had lots to chat about.

And snack on....

I finally used my Mouse Ears cookie cutter from Disney World!

Peyton had a softball game that night then the kids had lessons every morning through Thursday. We were able to be at the pool and have a picnic lunch 2 of those days, so lots of fun was had by all.

We picked up Reaghan on Friday, had just enough time to get home and go to the field for her last game of the season.

So by Friday night it was fair to say my house looked like this....

And this...

Even the garage got in on the chaos....

So, I stood in my kitchen on Friday night (I'm too scared to post a picture of that!!) and stated..."I don't know if the house is ever going to get back to normal."

To which my husband stated...."It doesn't look so bad!"

As my Southern gal pals would say....

"Bless his heart."

Indeed.

At that point I should have wandered into the half-empty closet and just shut the door. At least it was clutter-free.


So, in the interest of keeping this brief (ha!), we had one more softball game for Peyton on Saturday morning, then Jerry got to work in the afternoon and now the closet is all fixed and as of 10:00 p.m. last night it is back in working order.

Now back to the cake....(see how it all ties in??!?!)
We celebrated both Reaghan's return and Father's Day with my parents. No, I have no pictures. In between laundry and closet catch-up I'm just happy I was able to locate my brain and most of my sanity.

The cake was yummy, but to be honest I don't know how often I'll have 2 spare cups of melted ice cream on hand. That commodity generally goes quite quickly around these parts.

Especially when I have a closet I can escape to.
Last-minute addition...the cake was very tasty, believe it or not though, I've had cakes that are more moist....I thought for sure 2 cups of ice cream would be the key!

No comments:

Post a Comment