Saturday, April 16, 2011

Rainy days and Saturdays always get me in the baking mood

As I drank my 3 cups of coffee and caught up on blogs, I was also researching recipes for Easter Sunday. Is anyone else caught off guard that it's only a week away??!!

In the back of my mind (oh, let's be honest - it involves cookie dough so it's really at the front of my mind!) I was remembering I had cookie dough in the freezer from earlier in the week when I baked some for a friend's garage/bake sale. I made the Nestle Tollhouse recipe and doubled it so we could have extras on hand for anytime we wanted a warm sheet of cookies. Which happened to be today.

My friend Parker had sent me this link some time ago and I thought it looked like something I would be game to try.

As you will see, one cookie appears to be about the equivalent of three. And who can eat just one? So, at the very least you are eating two, which actually means you are eating six, not counting the snatches of cookie dough and the broken Oreos which we all know lose their caloric index in the breaking process. At this point, you may as well pull up a seat next to the trough, settle in with some Bravo or Lifetime and call it a day.

I would never judge you.

However, being that is was only 10:30 in the morning and people 'round these parts had some mighty high expectations of lunch and a side of clean laundry, I knew I needed to rein it in. And I thought these little gems would fit perfectly inside the already portioned cookie dough.


I let the cookie dough sit out a bit to soften, then split open the middle and gently sealed the edges together.

I had sent my family upstairs while I "hid" the surprise. They knew about the chocolate chip part but I told them they had to bite into them to see what the big deal was.

Ta-da!!


The general consensus was a thumbs-up. Because the mini Oreo really is quite small, it doesn't have the same impact that the Double Stuff would have. But as I was strolling the packaged cookie aisle, it occurred to me that the Springtime Oreos would be fun for a little color. Then I got to wondering what the Chocolate Cream Oreo or even the Golden Oreos would taste like (maybe more of a sugar cookie recipe for that one.)

And then I wondered "At what point did it become necessary to have 513 choices for what used to be 1 product?!?!"

I took some deep breaths and tried to focus.

But my mind is already thinking of the possibilities.......

No comments:

Post a Comment