Hi!
How have your first 4 days of 2015 been? Resolutions made??
Our first two were very low key and I feel like I've spent the last two trying to make up for it, ha!
As much as it saddens me a little to have everyone (myself included) back to the grind tomorrow, I think the routine is good for us all. Can't be Christmas/vacation/good times all the time or it wouldn't be as special, right?? Right??!?! I don't know, I might be willing to try just to see ;)
Anyway, I decided long ago that I am not a resolutions person - too much pressure and the statistics of failing never seem to be in favor of anyone!!
So, I'm using the momentum of a new year (because who doesn't feel at least a little bit of that as the calendar turns?) to clear some unused items out of the house, come up with a chore chart that we can all participate in, thus leaving us more organized and responsible, and continuing to try with the healthy eating, exercise, and overall good physical, mental and spiritual good practices. As long as we aim high and achieve something everyday, I'm going to call it a success. Always room for improvement, but better to be moving in the right direction and sidestep once in awhile rather than not moving forward at all.
That said, there are still some dreams of accomplishment I have.......
- Organize, catch up, and KEEP caught up on photo albums, pictures of the kids, update frames, etc. I have to say, this job feels so big, I'm not sure I will ever be at a place I would like to be. I hear this from most every one of my friends, so I feel like I am in good company. I believe my biggest issue is that I really need to purge through about 50 percent of what I am holding onto, and I just can't ever come to terms with that. So, maybe just bits here and there and someday, when the kids are 25 and out of the house I can finally get their Disney autograph books from last year up to speed.
- Blog more. Again, best of intentions, seems to be worse when I verbally commit to a certain number of posts per day/week/month.
- Be able to do real push-ups all the way to the floor. Hey, I did a marathon, certainly I can find a way to get to 10 of these??
- Remember birthdays/send cards/drop a quick note and all these types of wonderful and beautiful ideas that for me usually mean rushing to Target for the sixth time in a week and sending something a month late. Or being so late, I save the card for next time and then forget where my hiding spot was.
- Keep my den/desk/mom command center neat and clean. This would probably help all the above, seeing as how, until last night, my calendar has been either haphazardly thrown on an easy chair or buried beneath a pile of Christmas cards. I've been relying on my brain. This is rarely a good thing.
- Keep up with the kids school and church paperwork better than I do. I usually throw it on my desk, on top of the calendar, just below the Christmas cards.
- Enjoy my computer time (including nostalgic moments of Space Invaders and Pac-Man) and keep up with blog reading, (a true fun thing for me) and Facebook, (another fun thing for me, mock if you must, everyone else does) but designate specific time for it rather than using it as an escape, which I sometimes do when other excitement such as laundry, dishes, and laundry calls my name. You can only hide for so long.
- Decide what I want to be when I grow up.
- I know this seems almost cliche, but really be intentional about living in the moment. I recognize it is not possible to never have multiple thoughts colliding in my brain at any given time, but to be able to stop and savor here and there is certainly worth doing.
- Let a few people know I have written a blog for the past few years. Believe it or not, most of my day-to-day friends don't even know this little space exists. I think it is because I am never sure what my "niche" really is (cupcakes, running, mothering, organizing - sort of, random, keeping up with distant family, humor, blathering!) Maybe, just maybe, someone can use a nugget or two of whatever I am mulling over. And, if not, perhaps just knowing that you are not in the boat alone can be a bit of an encouragement.
Okay, off to live in the moment. After a quick game of Pac-man ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment