Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Last Weekend in October....

and my dining room table looked like this....

As of Friday I was finishing up candy corn cupcakes for a school Halloween Fest and cookies for the last weekend of cheer/football...

On Saturday we went to the game, then a Halloween Party. (Hence the Fred and Wilma costumes. As an interesting side note, we were not the only Fred and Wilma there. We also ran into our neighbors, Barney and Betty Rubble.) I brought the one-eyed cake pops to go with the one-eyed Jello shots....

Lest anyone should think of going all "Footloose" on me, they were likely the most placid Jello shot ever made. The orange was called "Dreamsicle" (made with vanilla liquor), and the purple was "Champagne" (made with the obvious.) Everyone kept asking what the eyes were made of, to which I gleefully replied..."Eye-Candy!"

By Monday I was about Halloweened out. I went to the school parade, which is where all the parents get to line up outside in the cold and watch the whole school walk by in their costumes. It is quite cute and entertaining for us all. One of my friends was ahead of me in line, and when Kevin passed her by he asked where I was. She replied:

"I haven't seen her yet, but I know she's here!"

To which my sweet treasure looked at her and stated..."She's NEVER around for this kind of stuff!" (Yes, I'm usually much too busy going about my business of not doing much to possibly drag myself out of the house.)

My friend then answered..."I know she's here, I just haven't seen her yet!"

At which point sweet treasure walked off with a somewhat disgusted huff.

You know you've reached a dicey point on the food chain when your Mom friends are defending your honor to your 5 year-old. I think I'm blaming the costume for the personality change....

(Kind of like what happened to Peter Parker when he would try on the edgy black Spider-Man suit in Spider Man 3. At least I think it was the 3rd one. They all blur together a bit.)

After the parade we parents all played a fun game called "Try to find your child(ren) as we unleash about 500 of them out the front door or possibly the back door. And some of them will have masks on or very heavy make-up, don't worry this just adds to the fun." Bonus points went to those who sent one of their children back in to find the other child. Double bonus points if you sent a child back in to find the sibling of another family who was starting to slightly panic that their child would have to spend Halloween night in the school all alone.

Getting back to the car, I found myself boxed in by school buses and thought it best not to play chicken with them. We arrived home, got ready to trick-or-treat and hit the sidewalks. A great time was had by all, then we enjoyed a dinner of Chinese food at the neighbors. (Wonder if the trick-or-treating families in China were enjoying a night of American food??)

I ate an embarrassing amount of candy under the guise of "The kids don't like Almond Joy" or "Their palates aren't sophisticated enough to enjoy Peanut M&M's." So much so that I had a major sugar hang-over the next day. I've decided to abstain from sugar for a few days. It's going well so far, though the Payday and Heath bars (kids don't appreciate those either!) have mocked me a few times from their perch on the counter. It could get ugly.

Which brings us to Halloween being over and done already. A few of us were discussing how it seems you don't have to think about Thanksgiving and Christmas until AFTER Halloween, but within 12 hours of it turning into November 1st it's time to pay the piper and you MUST THINK/PLAN/DO EVERYTHING ELSE NOW!

Fortunately the kids have the next couple days off school for teacher conferences, so with the time I'm saving from lunch packing and running someday out to the bus approximately every 20 minutes I think I can at least address an envelope or two and possibly start on a cookie baking list.

If you all think of it, say a prayer for my foot - my arch/Achilles tendon has been bothering me a bit and months ago I scheduled myself for a 15K this weekend. A few friends are running with me and I'm just hoping to do a good job and get it done!

No comments:

Post a Comment