Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Last Day of Summer

By the time this is posted I will have a middle-schooler, a kindergartner, and one right in the middle who is entering 3rd grade.

It's enough to make one go all "Cat's in the Cradle."

I'll eventually get around to posting some vacation photos, probably sometime around October just as I'm catching my breath with the exactly 2 hours and 20 minutes of complete kid-free time I'll have everyday. My husband asked (in a concerned tone) if I was afraid that I would be bored with that daily chunk of time.

BLESS.HIS.HEART.

So, until there is some sort of "here's our 300+ summer fun shots and hey, do you have some time and I can pull out the videos - really, it's only about 4 hours worth" post, the last day of summer is all I've got documented.

We started the day off with a box of these....



One of my children, who shall remain nameless, uttered the phrase, "I don't really like frosting in my donuts."

To which I had to bite my tongue to keep from retorting..."Do you know how many suburban moms of three are going hungry right this very instant as they drink their coffee and attempt to fill up on their sensible breakfast of lean protein and healthy fiber?!?!"

I didn't participate in donut fest because we went here for lunch....

Yes, I'm a shamed woman right now. But due to the whole .69 cheeseburger Tuesday deal and 2 free small fry certificates we had a $2.98 lunch. And the kids voted me "Coolest Mom of the Day", so I'm thinking it was worth it.

After a quick run to Kohl's for new school shirts to start off the first day we headed on home. A few years ago I gave up on the whole "Back to School" full wardrobe shopping because they wear summer clothes through at least September. Then, there's just a couple of months before Christmas and the multitude of birthdays for which kind family members tend to enjoy purchasing outfits aplenty.

I kind of feel like the winner of that hand.

So, we topped off the day with "Make your own Sundaes" (Mommy boot camp and junk food detox begins tomorrow bright and early) followed by dinner and lunch packing and painting of fingernails for the big day.

At 9:10 p.m. I pulled out the time-tested, well-worn, works-for-all-moms phrase:

"You've got to get to bed, it's a SCHOOL night!"

Amazing how quickly it all comes back around.

No comments:

Post a Comment