'Twas the weekend of the big run for me. I have a few very sketchy photos taken from my camera while I was running, so you can imagine the quality of those few photos. I would still be happy to share them with you if I could figure out how to download them from my phone. Which I have yet to figure out. Even though my husband has now shown me twice and I will once again need to fake some sort of laundry emergency that needs tending to "RIGHT NOW and since I'm heading downstairs to take care of that will you please just finish loading these photos?"
It will be another couple of months of that before I sit down on a Saturday morning at 6:30 bound and determined to figure out what has to be a fairly simple (I used to get to people to board airplanes in a somewhat orderly fashion, how hard can THIS be?) process. I will hit a random key and be convinced, CONVINCED that I have not only lost every picture ever filed but have taken down the archived tax files with them.
I will then throw my head on the desk and shout "WHY ME?!?!" before awaking my husband from his weekend sleep-in stupor to alert him that computer Armageddon has taken place and we might want to grab some bottled water and duct tape and head to the basement.
Or at least that's how it happened last time.
So, I shall share thoughts of the 1/2 and leave the photos to your imagination for now.
The day was beautiful and it was a wonderful 56 degrees when we started out at 7:00 on the dot. My friend, my brother and my sister-in-law were all competing as well, so it was fun to start out together. I ended up with a finish time of 1:54:40 which I was very pleased about since my goal was to finish (always the main goal for me!) and to beat my time from last year. The first hour went quickly and we made good time, the second hour was tougher and I felt like I slowed up quite a bit. But nothing feels quite so exciting as when the last bend is rounded, the crowds are cheering and your eyes take in the sight of the 13.1 mile sign. I know it sounds crazy, but all those hours of turning in early just to rise early and the running up hills in humidity are all worth it. I can only imagine what finishing a full marathon must be like.
And now for the nuts and bolts part of this whole running thing. I feel I need to speak of this, not as a criticism, but as a loving suggestion.
People, no one looks or sounds pretty by mile 10 or 11. No one expects you too. We're all just proud that we've somehow made it this far without blacking out. But here is where the truth needs to be spoken out loud. And it is this:
When you are directly behind a fellow runner and they can feel you breathing on their somewhat stiff neck and feel the wind from your flailing arms and you won't pass them no matter how far over they move to the right, it is time to take a moment. Not a complete stop, mind you, but FOR THE LOVE OF PETE, COULD YOU TAKE A SECOND TO SLIGHTLY SLOW DOWN AND DRAW A BREATH AND GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF?
Because you're really starting to freak me out a bit. Not sure if you're going to fall over, or you need me to alert help at the next first-aid station or if you're doing some sort of "We're all in this together" mantra that I have yet to catch onto.
That's all. Just a moment and a breath is all we're asking.
Awkward segue moment.....
We went out for a celebration breakfast afterwards. Fresh-squeezed orange juice and bananas foster pancakes can quickly make a girl forget all about runners with no boundary issues.
So now the week is back in full swing and I'm back to what feels like a daily marathon of life. (ha hahahahaha ha.)
But with no pancakes or orange juice at the end of the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment