Captain(ess?) Klutz strikes again.....I tripped and fell (hard!) while running yesterday.
My friend posted a message and said how sorry she was for me that I slipped in the rain. (It has started raining after I came inside.)
If only I were the glamorous, savvy and cosmopolitan type that slipped in the rain. Yes, let's go with that.
We'll not suggest in the least that possibly I am the type of girl that gets her right shoe caught in the loop of her left shoelace. Or that a block earlier the same sort of almost fall happened and instead of stopping to correct the problem this silly girl just determined to be extra careful.
No, we'll not suggest that at all.
I believe I pitched forward, fell to my knees, and stretched out my hands to brace myself. I remember my chest hitting the ground as well, but honestly my hands took the brunt of it.
Some things I thought of in the moment.....
1) This really stinks.
2) At least I'm only a block from home.
3) I managed to NOT hit my head and black out! Bonus!
4) Why, why, why oh why didn't I stop a block earlier and correct my shoe issue?
I'll tell why. I was 2 minutes away from finishing my goal and didn't want to take the time.
I'm sure there are a million life lessons/analogies one could make of this.
So I'm trying to take away a small life lesson from this as well as a practical one.
- WHEN YOU KNOW YOUR SHOE LACES ARE TOO LONG, CHANGE THEM TO A SHORTER PAIR BEFORE YOU GO RUNNING AGAIN. BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY, EVEN THOUGH YOU DOUBLE KNOT THEM, IT IS STILL A PROBLEM.
- Maybe, just maybe, when life presents you with a "warning stumble" one should take a moment and proceed with caution. Arriving at your destination, hands bloodied, is not the best end goal.
Now, if I just just figure out how to shower without having to use the palms of my hands.....
Oh, so sorry about that fall! The friend I run with on Wednesday mornings and I are both very OCD about the shoes. We will even stop the watch to fix a shoe that feels slightly "off." It's usually a problem with my right shoe because that foot is the one that is a bit shorter. I double tie, not just double knot my laces. They stay very short and never have big loops.
ReplyDeleteI blogged about a less than graceful tumble a couple years ago! I'm right there with you --perhaps co-captain klutziness?!!
ReplyDeletehttp://andcharliemakes5.blogspot.com/2008/11/brentwood-woman-injured-in-accident.html
Easy there, Mindith
ReplyDeleteFalling has always been a fear of mine while running. If I ever take a tumble, I just hope that no one is around to see it! I hope your hands are feeling better soon.
ReplyDelete