Friday, June 25, 2010

Frosting Snob

I am a fairly low-maintenance type of girl. I'm not a jewelry person. I consistently wear my wedding rings, and if I remember, some small earrings. For the most part my clothes are purchased at stores where you can also pick up a gallon of milk and ibuprofen. I haven't been to Europe (though I wouldn't turn it down!) and a fancy evening out for me usually still involves flip-flops of some sort. But, my theory is that everyone has their snob sticking point and for me it is quality coffee and...............CANNED FROSTING!!

I'm not sure why it's such an issue with me. After all, the can has come a long way since its debut. I guess I just figure that it only takes 4-5 ingredients to make your own so why wouldn't you?? I can spot the Betty Crocker on a cake a mile away. I also have this talent when it comes to spotting whipped cream instead of buttercream icing. (WHY, WHY, WHY would you do this???!!!)

Though I'm low-maintenance I'm also multi-faceted with a tiny bit of contradictory, so there are two exceptions to the frosting rule:


That's right, over a brownie or sandwiched in between vanilla wafers (graham crackers are good too:) cheater frosting is A-okay. As a matter of fact, I made this the other day for a neighbor who just had a baby boy. I added the Cool Whip so the blue sugars would show. Yes, I realize the irony of this after my rant over whipped cream, but this is a brownie, not a cake - multi-faceted, multi-faceted. Also, if you have watched and believed the commercial for the spray-can whipped topping (the one with the snarky lunch-counter waitress who asks "Oil or cream??? - I'll take the oil that they somehow made white and puffy out of the tub, thankyouverymuch!!) you'll know it's not actually real whipped cream.


Show me a woman who is postpartum and I'll show you a woman who needs a chocolate fix.
I didn't take the time to photograph the vanilla wafer sandwiches since there was a bad storm and my Dad called and advised me to get down to the basement with the kids. (My husband was still at work.) I've been married nearly a dozen years and have 3 babies of my own, but I still listen to Dad when he calls and says:
"I wouldn't mess around......get to the basement NOW!"


Okay Dad, will do, but let me grab these cookies out of the fridge on the way..............





2 comments:

  1. Gotta love Dad. I swear to God, my dad still tries to slip me a $20 on occasion. For goodness sake, I'm 37 years old!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounded like you were describing me . . . low-maintenance, no jewelry except a wedding ring, buy my clothes at Target . . . except . . . I use canned frosting. haha I usually use it for frosting of a cake. It's so smooth and spreads so easily . . . am I persuading you?

    I used to buy Wilton's icing to pipe details on cakes since it's thicker, but you will be happy to know that I finally tried to make my own icing JUST last week . . . and it was GOOD. And EASY. So maybe I will have to evolve to the point where I lose the canned icing all together.

    At least I'm making progress . . .

    ReplyDelete