Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Softball, softball and then some more softball...

My softball girl in action!



Our family spent most of this past weekend at the ball field. Our daughter's team had their play-offs and Saturday was the big day. They played 3 games total (3 GAMES IN ONE DAY!) in 90 degree heat + humidity. The last team they played won the game which meant our season was over, but we are so proud of all the girls and their efforts. So, the next day we all celebrated at the coach's house with a pizza/pool party (did we pick the cool coach or what?!!?) and desserts. Before I show the pictures of the finished products, I'm going to admit something. Cakes (at least at my house) go through an awkward adolescent phase. Think braces, gangly limbs and generally not knowing quite how to fit in:




I had made a sports ball cake a couple of months ago and star-tipped it in white icing with red M&M's. It was beautiful. Somehow, with this green-yellow color the cake started out looking like it was either:
A) a brain
B) an out-of-control hydrangea
C) something in the fridge that was needed to be tossed ASAP!

So, I stepped back and thought about how to remedy the situation. I had originally wanted to cover the cake in white icing and use navy blue M&M's (navy being the team jersey color) for the lines. My daughter insisted that all softballs they used were yellow-green and that only baseballs where white. Since my knowledge of sports is next to nil (you can ask my husband to verify this!) I went with what she said and used a combination of Wilton golden yellow and leaf green to achieve this somewhat unappetizing color. I decided to just smooth over the stars and ice it like a regular cake. I retrieved the souvenir softball that all the girls had signed so I could have a model to work with for color, stitching, etc. Since I had iced the cake smooth, I realized I could put all the girls names on it and make it look just like the actual ball in front of me....



I wasn't there when the cake was cut, but I heard that every girl got a slice with her own name on it, so they declared it a success.

Since the cake wasn't enough to feed both girls and parents alike, I also made a batch of M&M brownies (with all colors except red:) and mini Twinkies:




I wish I had taken pictures of the party celebration, but all the exhausted parents collapsed into deck chairs while the excited team members and their siblings jumped in the pool with all of their boundless energy.








No comments:

Post a Comment