Remember Peanut Blossoms?? No, I don't have a picture, but if you close your eyes and remember a Hershey Kiss atop a peanut butter cookie that is a little crackly, you'll know what I'm taking about. I usually only bake them at Christmas time, but I had a bag of peanut butter and milk chocolate chips that I needed to use. I softened the butter, added the peanut butter, eggs, sugars and vanilla and went to the pantry to get the white flour.
"Gasp! Are we out of flour?!?!?"
(Momentary panic sets in.)
I had a vague recollection of using the last of the flour last time I made cookies - uh oh!
"Don't worry kids, I may have something that will work!"
I keep a large container of whole wheat flour for the purpose of doing a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of white and wheat flour for breads, etc. I measured it out and added it to the dough before mixing in the chips. I am here to testify that the cookie dough still tasted okay:
Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe:
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup peanut butter1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed1 egg
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 flour (white or whole-wheat!!)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 bag (minus a few "taster" chips) Nestle peanut butter and milk chocolate chips
Heat oven to 375. Beat butter and peanut butter. Add sugars, beat until fluffy. Add egg, milk, and vanilla; beat well. Stir in flour, soda and salt. Shape into 1 inch balls and roll in sugar, place on baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Add ganache if you would like or a smear of chocolate frosting.
I had a large container of whole wheat flour that I try to add to breads, etc in the hopes of adding some B vitamins and fiber.
"Let's try this and see what happens......."
I love adding whole wheat too! I always make a big batch of pancakes to freeze for busy mornings, and I make them with 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 white flour. With the syrup, no one knows the difference. I'm sure the ganache works like a charm to hide any difference in taste or texture.
ReplyDeleteThey were MORE than absolutely delicious!! I have my taste buds as a witness! Thanks, Mindy! Love, mom
ReplyDelete