Monday, March 16, 2015

The Circus Life

Just in time for the basketball tournament, Kevin badly sprained his ankle late Friday afternoon

Around the same time, his coach, aka Dad, came home sick from work.

As if that weren't enough fun to go around, our master bathroom is awaiting renovation, so stuff is everywhere upstairs and in the garage, which makes the rest of the house seem less orderly.  Okay, no reason to sugar-coat.  No seeming, it IS less orderly.

Anyway.......

After a slightly frantic early Saturday morning of x-rays, then a last minute rally by the coach, two games were played and won. (Yay!)  Kevin sat on the bench with his crutches and was both entertaining and entertained by various team mates taking their time-outs.  Or whatever is it called when one is not actively involved in the game.  I know.....I'm more of a runner.  Less rules, less plays, less scoreboard, less terminology.

Upon returning home and getting my boys settled in, we got one of the guinea pigs out to keep Kevin company on the couch, who opted to run laps back and forth.  (The guinea pig was running, not Kevin.  Just to clarify. Because if Kevin was running back and forth on the couch, "Here are your crutches, medical profession,  I would like a refund please.  And also, my sanity, if you happen to have found that.  I feel like I just saw that lying around somewhere yesterday....")

Reaghan decided more camaraderie was needed and she pulled her old crutches of storage so she could show Kevin exactly how things were done.  I was sitting down for the first time in hours (my first mistake) when Reaghan got up to put the guinea pig back in the cage.  This caused one of the crutches to crash onto the Lego table and knock over a glass of water along with multiple Legos.

At this point I could only sit there, absorb the situation for what it was, and think this thought....

"I am living the circus life.  It is a happy and vibrant circus, but a circus nonetheless." 
 
So, here we are at Monday with everyone back at work and school, except for me, which is good since I needed a day or five to reorganize life.  I took Kevin in extra early to get him settled and explain things to his teacher.  He will have a helper buddy, an elevator pass, and get to go to the office a few minutes early at the end of the day in order to avoid that OTHER circus known as "school hallways at dismissal time."  I can already tell the swelling is much better, and he can even put a bit of weight on his foot when wearing a brace.  All is well that ends well.

I'm off to coffee up before the second act begins!!


No comments:

Post a Comment