Monday, December 1, 2014

Thanksgiving Weekend, December 1st (for real?!?) and some goals

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.  We had a FABULOUS family weekend.  On Thursday, we went to my brother and sister-in-law's house and laughed and ate and watched football (Bears lost, boo) and played games and then ate some more.  It was great!

On Friday, we braved the crowds and had family photos done.  It had been 4 years (4 years!!) since our last professional photo and the main reason is my sanity.  I just cannot get it together every year.  I almost cancelled the appointment late Wednesday night when I had a slight moment of coordinating outfits.  One of these years, I'm just going to have a "wear whatever you want" kind of a picture....if I can let go of my control tendencies ;)

Thankfully, the pictures turned out well, and I ordered Christmas cards, photos to update our walls, and some additional ones to distribute to grandparents and other interested family members.  Bonus:  They give you envelopes ahead of time, so if I am on my game, I can have them ready to go next week when I pick up cards - yay!!

After we got home, we finished getting things in place for my aunt and cousins who were staying for the night.  We did more laughing, talking, and eating (I made Thanksgiving dinner, can't get enough!!) and watched a movie with the kids.

Saturday, I got up early and went to the gym to lift weights and take a spin class.  The rest of the day was spent with family, then getting the outside lights started as it was nearly 50 degrees - awesome day!  We finished up some light shopping at Target and watched another Christmas movie - I LOVE this time of year!

On Sunday morning, I was all excited and geared up for a long outdoor run.  The temperature was perfect - close to 40 and no wind.  However, lots of fog.  Still, I knew it wasn't anything I couldn't get through, so off I went.  UNTIL, about 1/4 of a mile when I felt black ice beneath my right shoe.  I slowed to a walk to see if it was just an isolated area, but I felt the slickness under both my feet, so back inside I went.  Such a bummer!  I'm so thankful I didn't slip, it could have ended badly, so I was grateful that was the worst of it.  I attempted a walk/run on the treadmill, but it wasn't nearly as exciting :(

After church, we finished the outside lights.  I would throw a challenge out there to soon-to-be married couples......try some outdoor lights together in the dropping temperatures with no ladder for trees that are taller than you  and a 45 minute deadline with a limited light supply and timers that need to be set up.  I kid, I kid........

All joking aside, the lights are in place and all is well except for one bush that worked just fine the first night, but has now decided to do the "half strand is lit, half strand is not" routine.  GRRRRRRR......

After that invigorating fun, we went on a 4 mile hike with Kevin's Cub Scout troop.  The temps were declining, but we walked a trail (no ice or frozen fog!) that I had run in both the half and full marathons, so it was fun to revisit, and we had a good time with the rest of the families.  (Moment of truth:  I crashed on the couch for 2 hours after that!!)

(Awkward segue to today......)

Now that December is in full swing, I am making some goals for myself - I always feel so motivated when the calendar turns!

First up, I am trying my best to exercise most every day (this one isn't as hard for me as I really enjoy activity) and eat clean (which I can say I enjoy until about 2pm everyday, then it is chocolate and cookie dough cravings until 8pm!!)  For the fitness challenge, I am making a goal of 10 -15 minutes of ab work a day, and 10 minutes of stretching, in addition to my normal workouts, which is typically a run or a spin class or some weights/resistance.  For being a runner, I am HORRIBLE at stretching enough.....I just find it kind of boring.  For the eating/food aspect, I am incorporating lots of fresh, whole foods with plenty of protein (keeps you full!) and lots of lemon water, which is so good for a body.

And on a completely ironic note, I am also planning to make/bake one Christmas cookie or fudge a day.  (I'm a complicated gal;))

Yes, it would seem counterproductive, but I give away most of it for gifts, etc.  I also like to have a stash in the freezer for impromptu gatherings.  So, I think a batch of fudge is in order today.  Plus, I have 4 willing taste testers in my house!

Can one lick the spoon and still call it clean eating??  I mean, the dishes in my kitchen are very clean and sterilized........

Have a fabulous day....I need to keep up the momentum!

No comments:

Post a Comment