Monday, October 27, 2014

Wonderful Weekend!

It was the most perfect fall weekend here.  The weather was stunning both Saturday and Sunday, and we took advantage of it just in case it was the last one for awhile :(

On Saturday, my husband left early to go to his former college's homecoming game.  They even won!  I worked in the morning, then came home and the kids played outside while I finished a couple of things around the house.  Then we went to Target to pick up a few supplies the kids needed for school and Halloween.  We got Panera for dinner (bonus, no cooking!) and watched two of "The Good Witch" movies that were airing on Hallmark channel.  I went to bed at 9:30 (double bonus!) then was up and got to run 6 miles early Sunday morning.  I absolutely LOVE to run in the fall.  The colors are amazing and the air feels so clean.  I am thankful over and over for the beauty of creation!!

I didn't take these on my run, (I hate to stop once I get going) but these are the areas I get to venture through.









When I was uploading pictures, I realized how many shots I take EVERY fall and most of them are of the SAME places, (with a few new ones thrown in) but I just can't help myself!

Anyhow, after a great run, we went to church, followed by a visit to a small pumpkin patch near our house.  I love the farm we go to for pumpkins - it is a small, family owned place with an "honor system" cash box for your pumpkins and decorations.   The kids picked out a few to carve and in return I made them pose for this :)


We came home, I made a huge Sunday brunch (one of our favorite things!) right around the time Jerry got home, then the kids played and we attempted to watch the Bears game.  Well, my husband did, I could tell it was going to be a horrible game and the weather was TOO perfect to stay inside, so I went for a long bike ride.  Everyone else must have had the same idea, because the trail was packed!   After I came home, we carved our pumpkins......










Even the pigs got to enjoy the fun!



Once we were inside for the night, (hated to see the day end!) I made a super simple dinner, followed by this........






Super messy pictures of pumpkin cake!  (No, I didn't use the stuff we scooped out, I used a can ;)  I have decided that Sundays during the fall and winter will be "cake night."  What better way to kick it off than this?!?!?  We brought the cake pan out to the family room and watched "Once Upon a Time" while we feasted.

Here is the recipe....the best way to eat it is warm.  Once I pull it out of the oven, I wait about 20 minutes, then frost (it gets all runny and melty, SO good!) and the whole cake is so soft and warm that you don't need to slice it as much as you just need a spatula!  And a big spoon to scoop of the frosting ;)

3/4 cup oil
1 small container applesauce
1 cup sugar (I cut the original recipe down from 2 cups - yikes!  I justify the frosting this way ;)
1 can pumpkin

Mix well.  Add 4 eggs, beating after each addition.

Combine the following:

2 cups flour 
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Add to wet mixture, beat just until flour is absorbed.  Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes in a 9x13 pan.  Cool for a bit, add frosting.

Frosting:

4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter (1/2 cup) softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
milk (or half and half) to thin consistency, start with a couple of TBSP

Beat the cream cheese and butter until well combined.  Add vanilla.  Slowly add powdered sugar and milk - the milk in small increments.  If you have added too much, just throw in some more powdered sugar, this recipe is very forgiving :)

I couldn't ask for a better weekend :)  Or yummier cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment