Sunday, September 28, 2014

Marathon.....a week later

Yes, some parts of me are still a little sore ;)

People keep asking me if I will do another one.  My answer is somewhat like this every time......

"Well, I don't really think I can commit the time and training again without feeling like I am giving up time for other important things and people in my life, but I DID manage to finish with only training up to 16 miles with an injured foot that turned into hip problems, so next time I would like to train better and try to beat my time, which, all things considered wasn't TOO bad, and it really was an amazing experience so I don't think I will again since I checked one off the bucket list and there was NOTHING quite like crossing that finish line and I bet I could do better next time!"

In a word, maybe.

I do feel it is A LOT to ask of a body, and I have discovered during the months of training that I want to be able to run for the sake of a love of running, not because I HAVE to get so many miles in per long run.  I enjoy exercising and the feeling of a really good, strenuous workout, but it doesn't always have to be a run.  In short, (I promise!) I want to have a body that works well at working out for a long time, and I don't want to have to be on the shelf due to injury.

That said, it was a most spectacular day for a race.  The weather was unbelievably gorgeous, the energy from other runners was incredible, the spectators were THE BEST, and the signs were SO hilarious and really do keep you going.  Here is a sampling of my favorites:

 - "Hurry up.  You're making us late for brunch."

 - "Those shorts make your butt look fast!"

 - "General Encouragement.  But mostly for Gary and Bob."

 - " Stop reading this sign and keep running."

 - "My sexy wife runs marathons.  I drink beer."

 - "Cramp now.  Wine later."

But my VERY FAVORITE SIGNS???
 I had NO idea some of my friends were going to be there cheering me on, so that was the best surprise ever! 





This was the first sign I saw when I rounded the 6 miles marker.  Honestly, the first thought that went through my head was, "Oh, there's another Mindy running this race today!  Wait a minute, I know those people!!"  Seriously.





Random thoughts as I ran........

Mile 1:  Ok, I got this. 

Mile 4:  Four down, 22 more to go, pounding it out!

Mile 7:  There is flag guy.  I wonder if his arms are already tired of holding up that flag pole.  I even feel bad for the pacers holding their signs, and those things are light weight.  But still, holding your arm up that long, ugh!

Mile 13:  Half-way there. Can't even think about it yet.  And I'm am SO glad I stashed some ibuprofen. 

Mile 14:  Calf cramp.  This isn't good.  Gatorade at next station. 

Mile 16:  I thought we were only at 15.  This is the best news ever!

Mile 20:  Orange slices.  The most underrated, undervalued food ever known to man.  And the most delicious thing I might have ever eaten.  Just enough "oomph" to wrap my mind around 6 more miles.

Mile 20-22:  I will run forevermore.  This race really never ends.  I don't even know if I'm running at this point or really fast walking while pumping my arms because my feel feel they are dragging and CANNOT be picked up any higher. 

Mile 22:  Seriously?!?!?!?  ISTILLHAVE4MOREMILESTOGO!!  Where is all my MILE 4 confidence?!?!?

Mile 23.5:  I am NOT going to be taken out by this biker than is inches away from running me down!  WILL NOT!!  WILL NOT!!  (True story:  he was trying to enter the path where there was CLEARLY a race going on.  I am not usually one to jump on the "runners/bikers who's better, we really don't care for each other" band wagon, but I am going to stand strong and say that I was in the right on this one.  What felt like a dozen thoughts went through my head, but all I could get out was, "DUDE!"  What can I say?  Speech skills go out the window somewhere along mile 20 when the orange slices are gone."  He very narrowly missed me, so grateful that it wasn't an incident.

Mile 24.5:  I might actually finish this without dying.  Yes, yes legs, you can do it!  Wait a minute, am I picking up speed?!?!?!

Mile 25:  I am!  I am running faster than I have at any other point!  Come on, 26 sign!!

Mile 26:  Come on, .2 miles!  How do you feel the longest?!?!?

CROSSED THE FINISH LINE BY SPEEDING ACROSS!!!!!!!

And then had to walk the most painful 3 blocks UPHILL to the car ;)

2 comments:

  1. And all I did was carry you around for 9 months and take care of you for another 18-20 years...GREAT JOB, DAUGHTER!! I'm always so, so proud, proud, proud to be your mom! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I some how missed this blog post-I loved reading about your marathon!! Great job! Tomorrow I run a marathon relay ;)

    ReplyDelete