Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Tuesday Try-it

I don't know how many of you have jumped on the Pinterest bandwagon, but I finally succumbed earlier this year when I lost count of how many people told me "I would just love it."

It is true that I really enjoy it quite a bit, and if my pin boards are any evidence, I've spent a fair amount of time looking over craft, home and recipe ideas.  I went through my boards last Friday and kept most of them, but deleted those that I "pinned for later" and, upon further looking, decided they weren't something I wanted to keep.

However, I've got dozens of recipes to try.  Some are more holiday themed (so convenient as that is right around the corner - yippee!) and the majority of mine are baking oriented.  (surprise, surprise.....)

So, I thought I would try a couple of new recipes each week - hence, "Try-it-Tuesdays!"

Yes, for your convenience, I will try to share a new recipe with thoughts, opinions, success rates, etc.

Or, at least until I see something bright and shiny and get distracted ;)

So, for today I tried two different treats.  You won't believe how easy the first one is:
I didn't believe it at first, but the above ingredients are all it takes!  And they are DELICIOUS!  I omitted the sugar completely since the Nutella was sweet enough on its own.  Kind of tastes like a brownie with just a hint of hazelnut.....yummmmmm.

Rating: ***** (That's five stars, folks;)
For the simplicity of this recipe, I wasn't sure how tasty it would be.  And to be honest, the dough, while delicious, didn't look like anything to write home about.  (it was very crumbly) But they are SOOOOO good.  I received 6 thumbs up (all those kids that somehow end up at my house)  and I'm fully anticipating a 7th when my husband arrives home.

HINTS:  Bake for about 6 minutes, then take a glass and gently press down on the cookie.  Bake for another 2-3 minutes.  You could probably do this step ahead of time, but I forgot and when I checked on them, they still looked like balls of dough - easily remedied.

Here is the full recipe:
http://www.stockpilingmoms.com/2012/06/pinterest-daily-pin-nutella-cookiesI


And for the second one......
Homemade Granola Bars!

I truly enjoyed these...they reminded me of the Quaker Chocolate Chip bars.  I even added some chocolate covered Raisinets - can't wait to try them again in the winter and maybe add in some dried cranberries :)

Rating: ****

While I thought there were fabulous and quite easy to make (and after a rather strenuous work-out I could have eaten the whole pan, but I didn't, promise!) they were received with about an 80 percent approval rate from the kids.  It probably didn't help that they were served up alongside an all chocolate cookie...I mean really, oats vs. chocolate - who do you think will win?!?!

I would definitely make this again - and maybe best time I'll dip them in chocolate......

Hint: Keep these in the fridge and pull them out just before serving.  They are very chewy and soft, and will tend to fall apart (though still tasting fine) if kept at room temperature.

http://www.laurenslatest.com/no-bake-chocolate-chip-granola-bars-easy-healthy/

Group shot......

Now, I still have to come up with something for dinner.....does the fact that hazelnut and oats were included today cancel that out??  No?!?!?

1 comment:

  1. gonna have to try those granola bars, I can't seem to find *the* recipe that we all enjoy!

    ReplyDelete