Tuesday, July 10, 2012
It's a Hydrangea, it's decorative landscaping, it's a softball!
Or, possibly a brain, ha ha ha ;)
We attended the end-of-season softball party over the weekend, so I attempted to match the softball team color:)
I've made one of these cakes before, and even though it's a little bit interpretive looking, the kids all seem to love it. I used the Wilton sports ball pan and baked two cakes, then "sandwiched" them together for the 3D effect. I find it easier to star tip than trying to smooth icing over a rounded cake. Plus, the large star tip (my very favorite 1M!) gives a much better frosting to cake ratio. Win-win for everybody!
Here is the inside view:
It's a chocolate and white marble cake with a chocolate chip buttercream filling. I've seen the "zebra" stripe effect on lots of blogs and thought it would be fun to try. As you can see, the chocolate overtook the white, but then, you can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much chocolate - right?!?
It's a bit time consuming,as the two different flavors are layered about two tablespoons at a time. The weight of each batter layer "smooshes" it from the middle to the outer edges, so once it's all done you have a perfectly filled pan - no need to swirl!
Well, the kids keep walking up to me, asking what/when breakfast will be. I'm taking suggestions at this point. Have a great day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment