So, last Friday was the last day of kindergarten. EVER. Unless heaven should drop a baby on my doorstep, this phase of life is over for me. I had some big crocodile tears over it, and frankly, it was made worse by finding out our beloved bus driver that we've had for years (ever since my oldest started kindergarten!) is retiring. On Monday, I climbed the bus steps and gave him a hug and tried not to burst into the ugly cry. I think I embarrassed my children enough by daring to be on the bus in the first place. I could remind them of many a time of wanting to crawl into the nearest cave after some of their public antics, but that is fodder for a different post entirely.
Okay, back to me. (Because it's my blog;) After dropping off my last kindergartner EVER for the last day of kindergarten EVER (being melodramatic helps dull the pain) I drove myself to the walk-in care clinic since my throat had been hurting all week.
There, at the grown-up age of late thirties, I was diagnosed with strep throat as though I were a common 8 year-old.
So, let's just say Friday was not my best day ever. But, I've had worse, so all's well that ends well. I have 10 days worth of giant pink pills that neither look or smell like the bubble gum antibiotics of my youth. (sigh)
I am happily on the mend and not a moment too soon since children and cake abound in this home. Here are a few pictures of cake and etc. from the past week......
Last day of school, party at the park cupcakes - a Pinterest idea I found - the kids loved them!
Cake pop/flip-flops gifts for teachers....I found the flops in the Target aisle and wanted to try the cake pops to match. The pink flavor is strawberry (not watermelon) but with the mini chocolate chip "seeds" it is SUCH a yummy taste!
The only photo I have of a Red Velvet cake for a friend's birthday. I missed out on the dinner celebration because of my pal strep, but word on the street is that she loved it and got all sentimental because it tasted just like the ones her mom would make for her when she was little. To which I just had to ask "Have you always loved Red Velvet? Because that seems so sophisticated for a child's palate."
I personally do not have an affinity for RV cake because all I can taste is this.....

But lots of people LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. (supposedly it's one of the most, if not THE MOST requested cupcake orders at bakeries)
Here is a "Cars" themed cake for a 1 year-old. I used a big candle as the centerpiece and the royal icing candies, with chocolate chips in the border. (regular size at the base and minis at the top)
That's all, folks! Off to enjoy Day 2 of summer break. Trying to ignore the fact that I've been interrupted no less than one-half dozen times while attempting to finish this post ;)





That is the most awesome teacher gift I've seen yet! What a cute theme :)
ReplyDelete