Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Of Jeans and Halloween....

Know what Halloween and shopping for jeans have in common????

Both are very SPOOOOKY!!!!

Here's another one:
What's crazier than trying to blog, bake cupcakes, do a puzzle with 2 children, clean bathrooms and make sure everyone gets to school on time?

I'm still trying to figure that out myself. I'll get back to you.

A few points I'd like to make after typing the above:
- I don't like Halloween.
- No matter what size I wear and what store I frequent, they will always either be out of that number or down to just 1 pair.
- Blogging, as much fun as it is, takes WAAAAY more time that I usually have. It's funny, because in my head the post takes 2 minutes to write, but at the computer it's alot of spell checking, re-reading for accuracy and puncuation and taking time to upload and post pictures. Don't even get me started on the pictures.....I usually have to delete and add them again at least once per post because of some error I've made along the way. And when uploading, it has to be done in the reverse of how you want the pictures to actually appear. This gets me every.single.time.

By this point I should just dedicate the hour or so it takes (at least) but instead I just try to fit it in bit by bit. (hence the laundry, baking, cleaning, etc. while blogging.)

Anyhoo, back to the Halloween thing. I just don't like the goriness of the whole thing. Here you have this beautiful, perfect weather season with the trees ablaze in color against a gorgeous blue sky, the humidity has dropped and the temperatures are perfect for either running outside or playing with the kids at the pumpkin patch. There are haystacks, apples, pumpkin bars and hot cocoa with marshmallows. Do you have a wonderful, homey mental image in your mind??

I thought so.....now allow me to plop a moth-eaten Mummy and a mask with one missing eye right into your lap.

And that is why I do not care for Halloween.

So, I try to find the good and fun stuff around this time of year. Here is how I cope.....

I LOVE candy corn and candy pumpkins....almost as much as cupcakes. I am mentally kicking myself just a little right now for not naming this blog "Cupcakes and Candy Corn." Although, if I threw in my love of kittens and sparkly things, it would be an eight-year old girls blog. So I suppose I should just be glad I didn't name it that. But I digress......(frequently.)

Here is another favorite fall thing....


And for a fun little twist on an old favorite, when making Rice Krispie treats, use Cocoa Krispies and throw some butterscotch chips in.....the chocolate flavor and butterscotch together taste so rich and it looks very autumn-like.

You'll never go wrong with a sandwich cookie!


Now onto the somewhat painful jeans discussion. I only add this because I know most of my readers are women and I KNOW I'm not the only one with the whole jeans shopping hang-ups. (Can I get an amen from the crowd??) Here is what I came home with:

Yes, you read that correctly. Skinny jeans...sigh.
This raised three questions in my mind as I stood at the rack and pondered the 1 pair of jeans (jean?)

- Am I out of my age bracket here?
- Where/how/what will I wear (with)these?
- How badly do I want to revisit 1985?

But Gloria knows what she is doing because one try-on later and I am HOOKED! Believe it or not, they were the most comfortable pair I tried on.
I also came home with the old familiar boot-cut. Because there is comfort in the same old thing. And I will be sold on anything with the word "slender" on it. Really, it's like selling ice to the Eskimos.

In case you're wondering what the random papers are on the lower right hand corner of the picture, they are hats made for small stuffed animal pigs. Yes, that's right. No, it wasn't my handiwork, I was too busy cleaning the bathrooms.

But if you need one more thing to cheer you what with all the coffins and Draculas out there, here you go......

And if that doesn't work, go eat a chocolate-dipped caramel apple! Have a wonderful day.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome post! You had me chuckling from the very beginning. I also hate the icky part of Halloween, but love the treats. I'm totally going to try the chocolate rice Krispie idea. Looks yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like Halloween either. I am looking forward to Christmas! I do love Autumn though, so I'm not trying to rush anything. Also, I love the idea for making Chocolate Rice Krispie treats - I have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm, Gloria Vanderbilt jeans? That should take you back to the 80s, no problem :0) But if you can get into a skinny pair (and I'm not a bit surprised) then I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got my first pair of skinny jeans too!!! I seriously stood and stared in the mirror at myself wearing them...am I too old for these, too mushy, too flabby, etc, etc but in the end I went with them! Now I just need to get a few more longs shirts/sweaters. I will however NEVER EVER tight-roll my jeans again, I heard that's coming back in style. thanks for the chuckle this morning! :)

    ReplyDelete