Wednesday, October 13, 2010

All I ever needed to know I learned in 2nd grade

Yesterday was one of my volunteer afternoons in Peyton's class. Last month the class did a unit on bees, so I have been taking individual children aside to have them read a short paragraph and answer some questions. It's kind of a comprehension/comparison type of exercise. There are some very interesting facts I have gleaned, including that queen bees can sting more than once, while the worker bees sting once and then die. (Reminds me of the "going to the funeral" scene in "The Bee Movie" where Jerry Seinfelds's bee character laments the fact that his friend wasted his one sting on a squirrel.) The queen also has teeth and a larger stomach than the workers, just in case you ever needed to know.

But alas, it is the SAME paragraph over and over and my quips are starting to wear thin, even on me......

"Hey, can you believe that a queen bee has teeth?!?!" (Or as one enthusiastic student replied, "I didn't know bees even had mouths!!")

Or, my personal favorite, after learning that worker bees clean the nest, make the honey and feed the queen....

"Those workers bees sound like they're moms!"

Ba Dop Dum...."I'll be here all week, try the veal!"
Okay, done with bee humor.

I do love talking with the kids and I never come home without material. My favorite conversation of the day came about after S had completed his bee assignment with me.....

Me....."You did great sweetie, can you please send in C when you go back to class so I can work with him? Oh, and tell YOUR Mom that PEYTON'S Mom says Hi."

S....."I WILL! I remember everything! Once, 2 years ago we went to Disney World and we parked in Music 55 and I remember that. I am good at remembering things. Wait, who was I supposed to send in??"


On a side note, if you are looking for some validation, I have found that all you need to do is wear a pair of sparkly pink flip-flops and head on down to your nearest elementary school. Little girls you have never seen before will stop dead in their tracks and comment on how they love your shoes.

(Note: You should probably have your own children enrolled at whatever school you are visiting....otherwise it's just creepy and they won't let you in anyway. Just sayin'.)

I was also able to use my fine-motor skills by cutting out cardboard turkeys, while talking with Peyton's teacher who is a real farmer's wife. But she is a kind woman who likes animals and does not cut off tails with a carving knife.

And that is what I learned yesterday in 2nd grade. I can't wait to see what awaits me next time!

2 comments:

  1. love your posts. you always make me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...that is the funniest thing I've read in a long time!! It brings back memories of teaching kindergarten; what funny things the children said! Thanks for the many laughs. The Bible says that laughter is a good medicine and I certainly must agree wholeheartedly! Love, mom

    ReplyDelete