Thursday, October 14, 2010

"Alice in Wonderland"

A couple of months ago, someone asked if I would be able make cupcakes for her daughter's first birthday. The little girl is named Alice, so her mom thought it would be fun to do an "Alice in Wonderland" themed party. We wanted it to be fun and whimsical and kid-friendly, so I decided to just go crazy with color. Here is how it was done........

I started with Wilton paste colors. Every time I open a new color, I write the date on the lid in permanent marker so I can make sure I don't keep them too long.

Aren't the cupcake liners fun? I found them at Michael's, and felt they matched the theme without being too "edgy" for a kids party.

I made a white cake, then divided equally between 6 bowls and colored each one, using a hand-mixer.

Pretty colors, all in a row.....

I then did the same with white buttercream icing.....


Next, I spooned a small tablespoon size of each color, one over the other, being careful not to "smudge." Since this was more about "colorful" than "precise rainbow" I didn't stress over whether or not each layer was exactly even.


I think these like look a globe. Hmmm, an idea for a space/planets birthday in the future???

I like that these are just as fun on the inside.


Don't ask, I didn't keep track, but yes, it took LOTS of time.



The birthday girl's "smash" cupcake:)

And with the leftover frosting, I decorated a large sugar cookie "pizza" as a treat for my kiddos. (And then I left town for the weekend with my hubby:)

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the cupcakes! I can't wait to try making multi-colored cupcakes sometime. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Molly! Where did your blog go??

    ReplyDelete