Saturday, August 28, 2010

New Blog!

Me, the girl who learned to type on an old-school typewriter (I mean that literally; old, school typewriter) now is attempting to manage 2 blogs. Collective gasp.....

Here is why:

When I started this blog, I wasn't quite sure how it was going to work. I didn't know how often I would post, what the exact nature would be or if anyone would be interested in reading it except my Mom and my friend Kristen who encouraged me and said I should do it. I started in January as one of my New Year's resolutions and figured I could plug away at it for 2010. I got through the Blogger steps, sat and thought about a blog name, took a deep breath and signed on. I knew I wanted a way to preserve some memories since older moms I know and respect have always told me to "write it down" and for the life of me I can't journal or scrapbook worth anything. I also wanted to make notes of pictures, thoughts, daily happenings and events so someday my kids can look back and have another part of their history documented. (Because Lord knows the baby books are still quite empty.)

And of course, the whole baking thing. I'm addicted. It calms me, allows me use the creative side of my brain, and seems to make others in my life pretty happy too.

I think it all started with a beautiful Holly Hobbie cake for my 4th birthday. If you remember Holly Hobbie and her patchwork dress, you can imagine the love and time that went into that cake. It was exquisite. (Sorry, no pictures, I'm sure the only Polaroid has long since been lost:(

My Mom taught me how to make my Dad's favorite Fluffy White Frosting over Devil's Food cake. I can taste it now......

Then I baked Grandma's Christmas cookies, Aunt Cheryl's German Chocolate Caramel Brownies and a Key Lime Pie I made from scratch at the age of 15 for my Grandpa who was visiting. Just point me in the direction of the rolling pin and vanilla and I'm a happy girl.

I took the Wilton Decorating classes when I was a Senior in high school and practiced with cake decorating whenever I could. I didn't do as much while working full-time, but a couple of years after our first daughter was born I took the Wilton classes again to update my skills. I started making the kids birthday cakes as well as a few for neighbors and friends. I then expanded to the whole cookie decorating venture because that was another creative outlet to explore.

Which finally brings me to the point of the new blog. A few weeks ago I attended the birthday party of the "Butterflies and Dog Biscuits" (see one of the previous postings for pictures since I'm not sure how to link up - imagine!) neighbor and one of her sister-in-laws wanted to see pictures of my work. I have picture albums on Facebook so her 15 year-old son let me borrow his phone to access my page. Let's just say the whole ordeal of Mindy trying to figure that out still makes me want to sit in the corner, rock back and forth and go to my "happy place." I decided then and there I must figure out a better way that does not put me and my extremely pathetic technology skills on display for the whole wide world to see. (or at least the whole wide party.......go back to your dog bone cupcakes people, there is NOTHING to see here!) Plus, I don't want to "friend" someone (I'm snobby that way!) just so they can see cake pictures. I also like this blog as it is and want to keep the same format here, so you will still get the same commentary and information as before. You're welcome.

Sooo.....if you would like to view the still very infantile blog, here it is:

www.mindysmasterpieces.blogspot.com

It is still very much a work in progress, because.......well, because I'm me. But I can whip up a quick triple-chocolate brownie and a phenomenal cup of organic coffee while you wait:)

1 comment:

  1. You are fabulous friend! Great mom, fabulous friend and the most talented creator of all things sweet and frosted that I know!!

    ReplyDelete