I asked if she would share her recipe and if I remember the conversation correctly, it went something like this:
"You take some saltine crackers and line a pan, then pour over the brown sugar and butter mixture and lay Hershey bars on top to melt."
"I'm sorry, I must not have heard you what with all this Jimmy Buffet music playing and baseball talk going on....Hershey bar and brown sugar and butter and what??"
"A CRACKER........you know, the regular kind that you buy in a box."
Crackers?? They're great for soups and the first 3 months of pregnancy, but for a dessert?? Really??
Preheat oven to 400. Line an 11x15 pan (with sides) with foil. Cover with a single layer of crackers. Melt 2 sticks of butter and 2 cups of brown sugar on stove and let boil for 4 minutes.
I feel compelled to let you know that the mixture WILL BE EXTREMELY HOT!
Pour mixture gently over the crackers - they may shift slightly but it will be okay. Slide pan into oven for 5-7 minutes then remove immediately. Pour 1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips (12 oz) over and let sit for 1 minute or so. They will melt and then you can gently spread chocolate to coat the entire pan. I used choc. chips as I did not have multiple Hershey bars on hand. I say as long as there is chocolate of some sort, you will be okay. (I'm thinking of having t-shirts emblazoned with this!)
Anyway, cool on the counter for a bit before putting the pan in the freezer. The fridge will work too, it will just take longer to set. After about 1/2 hour in the freezer, lift out the foil, peel and break the "toffee" into random size pieces. Store in a plastic container in freezer (keeps them from getting too soft) until ready to serve. Happy July 4th!!
I've had this recipe before - so yummy!!
ReplyDeleteI had these 2 weeks ago at a ladies Bible study. Loved them and asked for the recipe. Now if she forgets I have it! Yea! When I took a bite I may have sung the Hallelujah Chorus! They DO taste like toffee...one of my fave flavors.
ReplyDelete