So, I didn't get those packages in the mail yesterday.
To be fair, two of them are popcorn orders that some friends ordered when Kevin was selling popcorn, so there isn't a huge holiday rush on these. Totally generous of them, now I just need to be equally generous and actually send their purchases to them.
I braved the cold and blustery winds yesterday and ran some errands and decided I was going to bite the bullet and get those packages sent. I had one box ready to go and the other one needed a purchased box. I stepped into the post office that is the size of my walk in closet to find 5 other people (one in an electric wheelchair) huddled around whatever corner they could condense themselves into. I slipped over to the shelf to get a box and an address label, addressed the boxes, then stepped back in line to process. Here's what I remember of that conversation/effort....
Me: "Do you have a couple pieces of tape to secure these boxes??"
P.O. " Yes, we have packing tape that you can purchase on the back wall." (There was a perfectly good roll not 7 inches from her left hand.)
Me: "Well. I think I have some at home, I really don't need to buy a whole roll. (hint, hint, hint)
P.O. "Ok, let me stamp the box for you so when you come back they won't recharge you for it."
REALLY?!?!?!
She stamped the box, rang up the total which amounted to $2.26 and told me she couldn't take my credit card without a signature on the back. I signed the card in front of her. She took it back, then asked to verify my signature on my photo I.D. Apparently, there has been a rash of suburban mothers bundled in their winter coats making off with small, empty cardboard boxes and 60 cent white labels.
This is the post office of the very small town in which I live with less than 10,000 other people. Also, I stop in at this post office three times a week to get the office mail before work.
And the total was $2.26.
I resisted the urge to say some very un-Christmas-like words and prayed for good thoughts to swirl in my head as opposed to the ones that were about to run rampant.
I took myself and the boxes home and placed them on the table. They stayed there until late this morning, at which point they were duct-taped (turns out we are out of packing tape and I REFUSE to purchase more) and left on the dryer, which is 4 steps away from the garage door.
Sometimes progress takes awhile. Maybe tomorrow they will at least make it into the van. And now I remember why going to the post office is my least favorite errand of all time.
First of all…I pop over here from time to time, but mostly see beautiful baked goods. I like that you just tell a funny/pathetic story.
ReplyDeleteSecond of all…I avoided the post office altogether this year, by purchasing all our out of town gifts on line. Glorious.
Third of all…the tape thing. I've had a similar experience. Why in the world don't they just put a roll of tape out there to secure packages? One time, I brought a package that was purposely not taped well, because I knew they'd fix it with the real tape at the counter. They did.
Love you.