Sunday, September 5, 2010

"I'm not a runner"

That's what I used to say....and believe. I'd go for a walk and try to run around the block. Then I'd run out of breath and go back to walking.

About 5 years ago, I started to run about 1/10th of a mile at a time on my walks. Then I would try to run for 2 minutes or so, then 3, then 5. Finally, I got up to about 20 minutes.

Then I found out we were going to have baby #3. I was so excited, but also very fatigued and running pretty much went out the window. Then the baby's first year came and went with all the exhaustion that comes with that, so still no running.

A little over 2 years ago (the baby was well over 2 by now!) I decided to try and pick up where I left off. I started with just a few minutes at a time, them slowly built up to 2 or 3 miles. I received a treadmill for my birthday last year so I could keep running through the winter. Now a normal run is about 5-6 miles. So.......I decided it was time to expand my horizons.....



That's right.....a half-marathon. I started training late in the spring with a friend of mine who was going to run it as well. We did very well for the first few weekends of our "long" runs. Then the heat and humidity hit. Then my friend hurt her knee....she had a Baker's cyst (sounds like something I would get ha!) which is a fluid-filled sac behind the knee. No more running for her for a month and then only a mile at a time. She wouldn't have time to build back up for a Labor Day race. :(

I kept running and eventually Sandy could run a mile or two with me again. The longest run I did was 9 miles and it was TOUGH! It was on one of the cooler days we had, but it was still pretty warm. I thought maybe I had hit my limit and would try for the 1/2 next year.

Fast-forward to this past week. The weather was forecasted to be sunny and 76 degrees. My friend said even though she couldn't run she would go with me to cheer me on. I checked online and found registration was closed. I made a deal with myself that I would call and if they were willing to get me in, I would do it. I called and they said yes.

Oh dear, what HAVE I gotten myself into??

I picked up my race packet Saturday. A million thoughts went through my head. How does this chip thing work? How does this whole mob of people keep from running over each other? What if I lose my way? Do I start my day with coffee or skip it? Should I eat breakfast and/or drink water? What if I'm the last person to finish? And of course, those modern day atrocities known as "port-o-potties" - what if I'm that desperate....ewwwww!!

I was up by 5:00am, decided if the worst thing that happened was walking part of the way, it was still a good race. One of my other friends who had done a triathlon earlier in the season drove me and Sandy rode along as well.

The race started at 7:00am - at 6:53 my nervous hands were still trying to put my running chip in place. Sandy took over, adjusted it, took my picture and Christina pointed me in the right direction. I still felt like I had no idea what I had gotten myself into. Right at 7:00, people started cheering and we were off! I just followed the crowd (kids, make a note, sometimes it IS okay to do what everyone else is doing:) and started running. I'd been warned there were some hills and of course the biggest one was at the beginning.....

I made it through the first mile, then the next, then the next........ At around mile 10 there were a couple of women cheering us on. As I ran by I could hear one of them say to the other...."Someday, someday."

I made it to the 12 mile marker..."One more mile, I got this." Then the 13 mile mark...."One more tenth to go....."

I crossed the finish line in 1 hour, 59 minutes and 53 seconds....heard my name, collected a medal for finishing, ran to meet my friends.....and was so glad today was my "someday."

4 comments:

  1. Way to go! Would you like to participate in my interviews for moms who run?
    http://seemymomrun.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so proud of you! I'm dying to get a sub 2 half-marathon. Not in the cards for this one, but maybe the spring. My speed work has been so lacking this summer. You inspire me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you!!!!! You've inspired me, maybe I CAN be a runner??! Seriously, way to go, Min, you should be very proud of yourself!! :) By the way, how did you feel the next day??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! That is awesome. I'm stuck at 5 miles - hehe. My goal is a ten-miler eventually, and then a half-marathon "someday". :) That's a great time too. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete