Lady, you had me at "large."
After thanking her, I did a 180 and tried to quickly come up with a different route. All routes seemed to end in the same spot I obviously didn't want to be in, so I just did a few loops. I felt really off, but at least I got to see the sunrise and some ducks out for their early morning swim. (No large, black mammals in their pond, I guess.)
I really thought that would be enough to blog about on a Monday, but then I was at the store later in the day and guess what is back?!?!?!?
I don't know if any of you have been going through pumpkin withdrawal, but our family has felt it in a big way. Pumpkin muffins and bread are how we eat breakfast at least once a week and sometimes snacks too. So of course, our favorite muffin is being served today! The original recipe came from one of these types of cookbooks:
My friend Parker refers to these as "one of those books where all the recipes require a can of hash." (She is hilarious and makes me laugh every.single.time we get together....one of God's blessings in my life:) But I digress.....
Anyway, I have tweaked this recipe to make it a wee bit healthier (less hash, more fiber!) Here it is:
Pumpkin Bread and/or Muffins
1 1/2 cups sugar (decreased from 2 2/3 cups)
2/3 cup butter (the original calls for shortening - same category as hash if you ask me!) NOTE: I did not have any on hand, but usually I will use 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup) and 1 snack size container of applesauce.
4 eggs
2/3 cup water
2 cups canned pumpkin
3 1/2 cups flour (I used 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, 2 cups white and I threw in a little wheat germ to make myself feel better.)
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt (down from 1 1/2 tsp)
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (if I don't have this, I mix my own concoction of cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg.)
Cream sugar and softened butter together with mixer, add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add pumpkin, mix well. Mix dry ingredients together and add, alternating with water. This recipe makes either 2 full-size loaves, about 6 mini loaves or 33 muffins (or probably a WHOLE lot of mini muffins. Bake at 350.
Full loaves - 1 hour
Small loaves - 40 minutes?
Muffins - 20 minutes
Mini muffins - check after 10
Since I had these two things.......
I whipped up a quick glaze.....(I added about 2 cups powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla as well, all of this to off set the wheat germ and whole wheat flour, of course!!)
The only thing missing was a mallocreme (sp?) candy pumpkin.....and the funny thing is that I passed them up earlier in the day....that will teach me!
Well, I'm off to take a rodent-free run on the treadmill....and finish the cheesy Lifetime movie.
I have been CRAVING pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin bars, etc.!! I can't wait until I go to the store this week, I'm gonna get me some pumpkin. Too bad my family doesn't share my extreme love of pumpkin, they'll eat a little but they don't crave it the way I do.
ReplyDeleteI love pumpkin bread! I usually like to add some chocolate chips, but I might have to try the glaze next time instead. Glad to hear that you dodged the "large, black animal". :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the shout out! I got a mention on a blog, wow! You are a blessing, too!
ReplyDeletere: Large black animal; that would have been a unique way to close a blog. Mindith consumed at the end of the road.
ReplyDelete