Monday, March 8, 2010

Five minute day

Ever had one of those days where you had alot of things to do but not large chunks of time to do them? Hence, I am living the 5 minute day today. In between the running around of multiple children (some of them not even mine!) here's what I'm trying to accomplish in 5 minute intervals:

Take load of laundry immediately out of dryer and fold/put away
(Sidebar - I have the greatest intentions of doing this EVERY time, so how come I had 2 loads waiting for me to put away this morning before I started TODAY'S laundry?? I'm pretty sure this isn't just me as everyone I talk to seems to hate putting their laundry away as well. Maybe we should start a support group. And get together for coffee. As soon as we put our laundry away.)

Set table for dinner ahead of time. Sounds silly, but this one task could save me from my own undoing at the crazy dinner rush hour - again, something I should just do every day!

Pack 2 lunches - 2 sandwiches, fruit and small treat - an easy but oh-so-satisfying-to-have-done 5 minutes

Put things in car for later afternoon drop-off (snacks, girl scout vest, etc.) I just LOVE having the car ready to go, seems to make it easier to get out the door.

Make a meal list for the rest of the week. It's swirling around in my head, might as well put it on paper for everyone to see and complain about.

Along the same lines, make a quick to-do list for the week. Five minutes is usually enough time to write down the important things that need to be remembered.

Go through paperwork on counter - if I tell myself I'll only take 5 minutes I'll actually do it instead of dreading it - 10 pieces of paper in the re-cycle bin is better than none! All the rest can go back in the basket until the next 5-minute time.

Work with oldest on Awana verses/pages, word wall words with middlest:) Doing this for 5 minutes a day can make a huge difference.

Five minutes for going through backpack paperwork, signing homework notebook, prepping packs for the next day - I try to do this as soon as kids are home.

Check email/Facebook.....yes, this doesn't actually give time for responding, but at least you know what/how much time you need when you get a longer stretch of time to reply.

So, what are some things you like to get done in 5 minutes?

No comments:

Post a Comment