Start by melting your butter, brown sugar and corn syrup. (I used the heart measuring cups because it made for such a pretty picture!)


While your above ingredients are melting, pop up 11-12 cups POPPED popcorn. I prefer pan popped, I think about 1/2 cup kernels will get the amount you need. After sorting through and taking out the unpopped kernels, throw about 1/2 cup candy corns over your popcorn.

Once your stove mixture has started to come to a slight boil, stir constantly for 2 minutes. After adding your baking soda and vanilla, pour quickly over your popcorn and mix thouroughly.
Doesn't it look just like fall?!?

Here is where you can do one of two things:
- Leave as is and try not to eat the whole thing in one sitting (or standing, at the counter, as I tend to do)
- Bake at 350 for about 5 minutes to "set" the caramel. I honestly don't know which way I prefer, though if you are bagging it and giving it away it will stick less to the plastic if it is baked. Here is what will happen....

Have no fear, melted candy corn is delicious! But it is HOT so let it cool before you try to work with it.
You can then bag it up, tie it with colorful ribbon and pass along. As long as you haven't eaten all of while standing at the counter. ;)
(I also added some random candy corns into the bag just for color.)

Recipe:
11-12 cups popped corn (I salted mine once it was popped)
1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp vanilla
Have corn popped and cleared of unpopped kernels. In a medium saucepan melt butter, syrup and brown sugar. Once it has reached a boil, stir constantly for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add soda and vanilla. Your mixture will puff slightly, just mix well and then pour over popcorn and candy corn. Mix well and either let cool before storing in an airtight container, OR:
Place popcorn on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 5 minutes at 350, remove immediately. Let cool then break bigger pieces apart. Enjoy!
I'm pretty sure this will kill you.
ReplyDelete